Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi OS Updated With Faster OpenSSH, Software Upgrades

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi OS Updated With Faster OpenSSH, Software Upgrades

Released today was a new version of the Raspberry Pi OS (nee Raspbian) with various improvements over its prior update from March...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I see the GCC complier is still version 8.3.0.

Comment

Totally hypothetically, between device support landing in mainline and the UEFI firmware project, could Raspberry Pi OS end up not being relevant as a standalone OS, and the Raspberry Pi specific stuff just lives on as Debian packages?

Comment

arm64 variant also got an update, you can grab it here : https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_arm64/images/

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
          Totally hypothetically, between device support landing in mainline and the UEFI firmware project, could Raspberry Pi OS end up not being relevant as a standalone OS, and the Raspberry Pi specific stuff just lives on as Debian packages?
          I'm sure they have both the resources and the desire to continue to make their own distribution forever. Not to mention a higher user base than many, and they can preinstall it on the microsd cards that come with desktop kits.

Comment

I'd like to have a more recent version of Firefox, because actually it cannot reproduce the audio of a lot of video from Youtube (due to Youtube), and I don't want to use Chromium for my personal stuff.

Comment

Does it still contain spyware from Microsoft ?

Comment

Migration to LXQt ?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Does it still contain spyware from Microsoft ?
                  It never had spyware. They added a Microsoft repository earlier this year, through an update, but then they removed the repo with another update and I guess they got permission from Microsoft to add the VSCode packages in the Pi repositories, so their tutorials (including printed stuff) would continue working as expected.

I think it's a dumb move to add a repository through an update, let alone one from Microsoft, but at least they listened and fixed the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
                    Migration to LXQt ?
                    LXDE requires slightly less resources and it works just fine, so not worth it at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                    X