CentOS SIG To Help Get Community CentOS Stream Features Into Next RHEL Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by You- View Post
    Phoronix - the place where ant-redhatters unite.

I think the majority of users on here mischaracterise Centos and Centos Stream. Centos Stream (for the stable release) is not a "test" or development version. All updates made to it ahve already been test and approved for the next minor RHEL release. It should be just as stable but without the missing support windows around the times of each new minor release that Centos suffered from.

I saw this video on it recently on it and I thought it was great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf_EkU3x2G0
    I think the majority of users understand what the difference is between Centos and Centos Stream. The community simply angry at Centos/RedHat because they said: "The CentOS Linux platform isn't changing. The process and methods built up around the platform however are going to become more open, more inclusive and transparent." In other words, the community believed that Centos would remain Centos. Shortly after IBM's acquisition this promise was broken. In my opinion it's understandable that people are upset and feel betrayed.

Centos Stream is a cool idea, but in my opinion RedHat should not have used the Centos brand name for it. Redhat should have said we are not supporting Centos anymore and given it back to the community. Rockly Linux is proof of what the community would have done provided they had the opportunity to take Centos back.

Personally I have always admired the RedHat employees that Phoronix frequently writes about. I have never used Centos in a commercial environment so I could simply register as a developer and use RHEL. I have friends that are running free dedicated game servers who are using Centos. I'll probably help them to move to Rockly Linux or Debian (based), it simply isn't practical for them to provide their free services using Centos Stream.

Edit: Many topos
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 24 May 2021, 01:09 PM. Reason: Many topos

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
      Rockly Linux is proof of what the community would have done provided they had the opportunity to take Centos back.
      Rocky linux wouldnt be a thing without Centos. They are recompiling from Centos git repositories.

I get the pain, but Red Hat stepped up when the community was struggling to build Centos 6. The community were failing.

Without Centos existing and also providing the git repositories, Rocky Linux and Alma Linux and others would be way bigger efforts.

As for Centos Linux existing without Red Hat and it taking a step back - the two decisions are separate. It did happen as you would have liked it to happen.

1. Red Hat declared where it would be putting its focus and manpower. Then
      2. Based on that the Centos Project board decided it couldnt continue both. It had the option - not everyone on the board is from Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
        pipe13 I'm by no means an expert on this so I may only suggest this document (https://access.redhat.com/articles/r...-compatibility). It's a pretty long read but it has some valuable information. My understanding is that if you'll be relying on any "level 3" compatibility packages, you can expect ABI breakages. With point-versioned RHEL and CentOS, you could at least expect them and plan ahead whereas with Stream they may come with any update.
        Thanks for the link MadCatX -- the more I learn about CentOS Stream the more I like it as a development platform for me. Possible Tier 3&4 binary breakage isn't an issue for me, as all my development is C++ with modest Fortran and Python. If for some reason CentOS Stream doesn't work out for me, I'll go back to Fedora.

Comment

Working...
        X