No announcement yet.

CentOS SIG To Help Get Community CentOS Stream Features Into Next RHEL Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS SIG To Help Get Community CentOS Stream Features Into Next RHEL Releases

Phoronix: CentOS SIG To Help Get Community CentOS Stream Features Into Next RHEL Releases

With CentOS Stream to be the upstream of Red Hat Enterprise Linux moving forward, a CentOS special interest group is being formed that is driven by Red Hat stakeholders in helping to ensure technically interesting CentOS Stream changes made by community members are evaluated and primed for inclusion into future Red Hat Enterprise Linux releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm not sure anything will regain them the lost trust in CentOS ever again, after they dropped support for CentOS 8 _years_ before its previously announced end-of-life. Doing such is suicide for any distribution that is aimed at long-term stability - especially since there are plenty of other distributions around that can do the "rolling release" thing better. I know several people who installed CentOS 8 on servers, and none of them is migrating to CentOS Streams, RedHat or Fedora - they are all off to other distributions that did not lie about life times.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
      I'm not sure anything will regain them the lost trust in CentOS ever again, after they dropped support for CentOS 8 _years_ before its previously announced end-of-life.
      Nobody at Red Hat was stopping community members from stepping up. RH were no longer interested in investing into traditional CentOS and why would they? There's RHEL already. Now we have not one but two community RHEL-derivatives. Where were they when CentOS looked for help (before the buyout)?

Comment

If you've ever worked with Red Hat folks, then you already know what a sham this is. Amazing.

Comment

I'm not sure anything will regain them the lost trust in CentOS ever again
          Nailed it. The CentOS brand is toxic at this point, and those using it today are eagerly awaiting Rocky Linux, if they haven't already switched to some other distro. I'm saying this as a long time RHCE who has literally made a career of working with RHEL. To say I'm disappointed with the direction they're taking is an understatement.

I'm fairly certain that the community will move on. To make an analogy, CentOS Stream vs. Rocky Linux is the next OpenOffice vs. LibreOffice. One will get left for dead, while the other gets all the community attention. Pretty clear which is which.
          Last edited by torsionbar28; 22 May 2021, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            RH were no longer interested in investing into traditional CentOS and why would they?
            Then why the fu&k did Red Hat acquire CentOS? Seems like they did it simply to kill the project off. Perhaps this wasn't their initial motivation, but clearly it is IBM's. A real dick move that the community won't soon forget.

Comment

they dropped support for CentOS
              what support? how much did you pay for it?

Comment

Phoronix - the place where ant-redhatters unite.

I think the majority of users on here mischaracterise Centos and Centos Stream. Centos Stream (for the stable release) is not a "test" or development version. All updates made to it ahve already been test and approved for the next minor RHEL release. It should be just as stable but without the missing support windows around the times of each new minor release that Centos suffered from.

I saw this video on it recently on it and I thought it was great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf_EkU3x2G0

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                  Centos Stream (for the stable release) is not a "test" or development version. All updates made to it ahve already been test and approved for the next minor RHEL release. It should be just as stable but without the missing support windows around the times of each new minor release that Centos suffered from.
                  The real problem of Stream is not stability but compatibility. There is a lot of software that is packaged for RHEL 8 and doesn't run on Stream because of binary compatibility breakages. Since the Stream doesn't have any kind of versioning, it's impossible to build packages for it even if somebody wanted to do it. I ran into this exact problem already earlier this year and I ended up compiling stuff from source. Of course now I have no way of knowing whether a next `dnf upgrade` won't break things again. A very 1990s Linux experience.

Comment

RH take over CentOs, then kill it, not trust in this, maybe CentOs still exists if Rh was never there but since CentOS was big trouble to them I understand RH is only a american corporation, to make money nothing more

Comment

Working...
                    X