Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 35 Aims For Better Experience Running Vintage Linux Games

Phoronix: Fedora 35 Aims For Better Experience Running Vintage Linux Games

Fedora 35 is looking to replace the unmaintained SDL 1.2 packages with using the sdl12-compat compatibility layer for better handling of vintage Linux games by this upcoming distribution release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How is this different from Lutris? What's the advantage on this?

Comment

Used to compile this myself from their HG repo (needed a few tweaks to build). Worked with some games, didn't with others.

Comment

I hope this idea also works to make sdl2 -> newer sdl2, I would like to see some of my native games running through wayland if possible (Magicka 2 for example)

Comment

I have never managed to run any game natively on Wayland. I've got some native games in my Steam library like Shadow Of The Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus or CS:GO. When I add the env to tell it to run on Wayland it simply crashes before showing anything. Is there any interest in fixing the situation? Btw, game window needs to capture mouse pointer completely. Is this somehow solved on Wayland already? It works as expected on XWayland though.

Comment

It may be useful if SDL2 would actually support Wayland.
            This bug report was migrated from our old Bugzilla tracker. These attachments are available in the static archive: prefer-wayland-over-x11.patch (prefer-wayland-over-x11.patch, text/plain, 2019-10-...

Comment

Originally posted by Rob72 View Post
              It may be useful if SDL2 would actually support Wayland.
              https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/issues/2710
              SDL2 supports Wayland. It's not used by default because there are still some issues that needs to be fixed before Wayland can be preferred over X11. For example lack of CSD support is one of such issues.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

SDL2 supports Wayland. It's not used by default because there are still some issues that needs to be fixed before Wayland can be preferred over X11. For example lack of CSD support is one of such issues.
                Why did you think I linked to the gitlab issue... And lack of CSD is the biggest issue for which support has still not been merged, and if I read between the lines will probably not be included in the next release either.

Comment

Originally posted by gorlok View Post
                  How is this different from Lutris? What's the advantage on this?
                  Lutris is to Steam as SDL is to DirectX.

This is a proposal to replace the old SDL 1.2 libraries with ones that just adapt the calls to use SDL 2.0 under the hood.

As an example, SDL 1.2 actually changes your monitor resolution when a game requests to go fullscreen. SDL 2.0 just does GPU scaling.

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
                  I hope this idea also works to make sdl2 -> newer sdl2, I would like to see some of my native games running through wayland if possible (Magicka 2 for example)
                  Set the SDL_DYNAMIC_API environment variable to point to your newer SDL 2 library. That was added to SDL 2 in 2014 to achieve that, even if the game is statically linked.

Comment

Lack of CSD isn't a bug. The bug is lack of SSD support on GNOME.

Comment

Working...
                    X