GNU Guix 1.3 Released With Better User Experience, Initial POWER9 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Guix 1.3 Released With Better User Experience, Initial POWER9 Support

Phoronix: GNU Guix 1.3 Released With Better User Experience, Initial POWER9 Support

GNU Guix as a cross-platform package manager based on Nix and also being the package management solution for the Linux-based GNU Guix system distribution is out with a new version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've enjoyed my time with guix package manager, it tends to work on most distros I've tried it on. A big advantage is that the repo only contains libre licensed software. There's still a lot of bloat involved, as with any of these third party package managers, so it's not ideal.

Comment

In reading the release notes, one very cool new feature is that you can tell guix to grab the latest version of a package from upstream and try to build it, even if the latest version is not currently packaged in the guix system. For example:
      Code:
      guix install qemu --with-latest=qemu
      will attempt to grab the latest version of qemu from upstream and build it using the guix build system for installation on your computer. I don't know of any other third party package managers that do this, it has a bit of an AUR or Portage feel to it.

Comment

The Linux kernel will still be supported when using Guix on "foreign" distributions, but it will be on a best-effort basis. We hope that other distributions will follow suit and adopt the Hurd in order to increase security and freedom for their users.
        Deprecating support for the Linux kernel: https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2020/de...-linux-kernel/

As I'm probably not going to be moving to Hurd, my interest in Guix just dropped to zero.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          I don't know of any other third party package managers that do this, it has a bit of an AUR or Portage feel to it.
          While not its main focus, the Sabayon Linux distribution and its Entropy package manager could let you mix binary packages with source packages from Gentoo's Portage. Now Sabayon's author is busy building a new package manager (Luet) and a new distribution (MocaccinoOS), treating containers as first-class packages as well.

Comment

Any news on root on lvm? I read something about lvm support but in the manual there is no mention of it as installation media.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              Any news on root on lvm? I read something about lvm support but in the manual there is no mention of it as installation media.
              I haven't tried myself (my root is on a Btrfs subvolume), but support for LVM devices was added with commit a9a2fdaabcc78e7a54d9a6bcfa4ee3de308e9a90. It's documented in the manual here: https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_...volume-manager (or run info '(guix) Mapped Devices'). HTH!

Comment

Originally posted by flakmirror View Post

Deprecating support for the Linux kernel: https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2020/de...-linux-kernel/

As I'm probably not going to be moving to Hurd, my interest in Guix just dropped to zero.
                Hint: this was posted on a 1st of April.
                Hint2: If you read the actual post, it starts with this disclaimer "Hey, this post was published on April 1st, so take it with a grain of salt! Read the followup for some clarifications."

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  In reading the release notes, one very cool new feature is that you can tell guix to grab the latest version of a package from upstream and try to build it, even if the latest version is not currently packaged in the guix system. For example:
                  Code:
                  guix install qemu --with-latest=qemu
                  will attempt to grab the latest version of qemu from upstream and build it using the guix build system for installation on your computer. I don't know of any other third party package managers that do this, it has a bit of an AUR or Portage feel to it.
                  GoboLinux can easily do that:
                  Code:
                  NewVersion Bash 5.0.0
                  Compile Bash 5.0.0

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx View Post
                    And how about having a btrfs subvolume device on a lvm volume?

Well just saying, I just would love to hear somebody say that this works and prefer that over testing it myself but maybe I find the time to test it eventually
                    Also in the changelog they mentioned explicitly the root on btrfs support but they did not mention the same for lvm, therefor I am sceptical.

But theoretical if you can use luks mapped device for root it should also work for lvm mapped device, mapped device is mapped device right?

It just could fuck up grub or whatever boot manager it uses I guess if it does not create the right boot entries for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X