Windows 10 Build 21370 vs. Ubuntu 21.04 Linux On AMD Ryzen 5900X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I've been a long time Firefox user but I use Edge on Windows and Linux for the sites that don't work on Firefox. I was expecting ClippIE, but, surprisingly, Edge doesn't suck.
    Same here. Edge is my backup to Firefox.
    Chrome is so far behind these 2 it's basically useless for my use cases.

Comment

Originally posted by ustolemyname View Post

It's not a measure of what's possible by tuning each system, it's a measure of what users will experience out of the box.

Which is how most users will experience their systems. Few users are turning off their virus scanner to make their web browser faster...
      You can not and must not run any tests if the underlying OS runs random background tasks - your results will be worth absolute crap and 0% reproducible. As a tester you must remove any variability.

Here's how real testers set up Windows to run tests: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...chmark.228698/

This applies to Linux as well, e.g. Fedora runs `dnf-makecache` at random intervals.
      Last edited by birdie; 07 May 2021, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Michael With NVIDIA Wayland is disabled. I would like to see how the Firefox benchmark differs on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I've been a long time Firefox user but I use Edge on Windows and Linux for the sites that don't work on Firefox. I was expecting ClippIE, but, surprisingly, Edge doesn't suck.
          Edge is just a reskinned Chromium now.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Edge is just a reskinned Chromium now.
            Not really.
            It's a reskinned Chromium filling the gigantic gaps of Chromium and Chrome. It's already much more featured than Chrome would ever dream of. I hate to say it (as a MS skeptic from historical ill intentions), but Edge is destroying Chrome at its own game.

Comment

The primary reason I can only use Firefox on Windows and Linux is because of the double-click and copy text behavior. With Chrome (Google, Chromium, and Edge on Win and Linux), double-clicking text and copying it inserts a return/line-break at the end of the line. This causes commands I have on my website to automatically run when I paste them into a Terminal, which isn't desired. With Firefox, it doesn't insert anything at the end of the line, and thus doesn't automatically run when pasted into a Terminal.

I don't know who likes that behavior on Chromium-based browsers, and as far as I know, there's no way to change this. Basically makes those browsers unusable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                Not really.
                It's a reskinned Chromium filling the gigantic gaps of Chromium and Chrome. It's already much more featured than Chrome would ever dream of. I hate to say it (as a MS skeptic from historical ill intentions), but Edge is destroying Chrome at its own game.
                The engine is literally a copy of the Chromium engine, which explains why it runs websites just as well as Firefox and Chrome.

As for what the shell is doing around it that Chromium doesn't, can you elaborate what it does that's so great? I've used it a few times for a page here and there but haven't used it enough to know what it does that's different.

Comment

Originally posted by ustolemyname View Post

It's not a measure of what's possible by tuning each system, it's a measure of what users will experience out of the box.

Which is how most users will experience their systems. Few users are turning off their virus scanner to make their web browser faster...
                  ​Just ignore birdie. He regularly defends Windows and Intel/NVIDIA products in this forum by deploying any theoretical/academic argument necessary, even though it is detached from practicality. His narrative is that this forum is like mostly AMD and Linux fanboys, so other products must be defended at any cost. With all that "random background tasks" point he is just preparing the groundwork for Alder Lake, which will be hybrid and those random tasks may be crucial considering garbage Windows 10 scheduler. We don't want Intel to look bad in the benchmarks do we? Even though in the practice there are always a set of background tasks running and isolated, synthetic academic benchmarks are the ones actually meaningless from the real world point of view.​

Comment

Good to see proprietary insecure trash destroyed by Linux (not optimized Ubuntu) as usual.
                    Last edited by Volta; 08 May 2021, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
                      Linux is much faster but:

Linus Torvalds on why desktop Linux sucks - YouTube

Obsolete: Even Linus not delivery your app for Linux but only for Windows and Mac. - Flatpak exist.
                      Fixed this for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X