Fedora 34 Released As A Hugely Exciting Update For This Linux Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 34 Released As A Hugely Exciting Update For This Linux Distribution

Phoronix: Fedora 34 Released As A Hugely Exciting Update For This Linux Distribution

It's Fedora 34 day! Fedora 34 is now officially available and it's quite exciting on the feature front especially with the changes to be enjoyed in Fedora Workstation 34...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've been testing the beta version of Fedora 34 for some time now and it looks like a very nice and polished release, definitely one of the best linux distros.

Unfortunately, gnome continues to look like a bastard child between Android and MacOS. Not really usable for desktop work.

The alternative "spins" offer Cinnamon and XFCE, which are two great desktops, much more usable and modern than gnome, so I highly suggest to try those two first!

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
      The alternative "spins" offer Cinnamon and XFCE, which are two great desktops, much more usable and modern than gnome, so I highly suggest to try those two first!
      > Cinnamon and XFCE
      > usable and modern
      pick one

Comment

I think that switching plasma to Wayland session by default now is way too soon. Once it may feel usable in some simple scenarios, it just falls apart in harder cases with multiple screens setups, lots of software from different sources and so on.

But... on the other hand, taking more users into wayland-based environment may eventually boost development by making it more of a priority.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
          I've been testing the beta version of Fedora 34 for some time now and it looks like a very nice and polished release, definitely one of the best linux distros.

Unfortunately, gnome continues to look like a bastard child between Android and MacOS. Not really usable for desktop work.

The classic "everything that does not look and function like Windows 95 with a better theme is completely unusable for work" guy.

But who am I to blame here, I thought the same for years until that weird evening where I out of a weird thought gave Gnome Shell a try. What should I say, I never looked back, it was so damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

The classic "everything that does not look and function like Windows 95 with a better theme is completely unusable for work" guy.

But who am I to blame here, I thought the same for years until that weird evening where I out of a weird thought gave Gnome Shell a try. What should I say, I never looked back, it was so damn good.
            I use Gnome Shell as the desktop, and it is pretty good. BUT... they clearly refuse to listen. I do want a Start Menu, and I want a Task Bar, and I want the minimise Window controls, and I want my icons on the desktop (or at least the ability to quickly get them there).

I accept that they wanted to try something new (ok - they copied Window 8), but they've gotten to a point where they should have at least had a Control Panel setting to satisfy people who are asking for a more Windows/Mac style layout.

Comment

The new Gnome is way better than before, at least they didn't go backward this time.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Agree with OneTimeShot, just enable the window maximize and minimize buttons by default, please. The silly routine of Gnome Tweak to fix it every time has grown tiresome...

Comment

Still waiting for Gnome 1674.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post

I use Gnome Shell as the desktop, and it is pretty good. BUT... they clearly refuse to listen. I do want a Start Menu, and I want a Task Bar, and I want the minimise Window controls, and I want my icons on the desktop (or at least the ability to quickly get them there).

I accept that they wanted to try something new (ok - they copied Window 8), but they've gotten to a point where they should have at least had a Control Panel setting to satisfy people who are asking for a more Windows/Mac style layout.
                    Gnome devs couldn't care less about their users' preferences.
                    They just flat-out refuse to accept any feedback and insist that users be the ones to get used to whatever random decision they come up with.
                    Some of the changes are actually nice, but a whole lot of them are just plain awful for many a reason and more often than not they're not even configurable from Tweaks or dconf editor, thus requiring extensions, which regrettably break on every single release.

With that being said, Gnome can be a pretty functional desktop after applying a few tweaks here and there, but vanilla Gnome just sucks.

Comment

Working...
                    X