Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Why not use XFCE?

Been using it since Fedora Core 1 - hasn't really felt anything "experimental" about it. A little bit on the bleeding edge but then you get the latest and greatest as well.
    Good point. I loved xfce back in the day (despite it feeling wooden), I wonder if it works well with Gnome apps.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

The nvidia 1080 is the problem; actually Nouveau. It will run extremely well if you install nvidia's binary driver, but with 30 second hangs at shutdown and poor multi monitor issues there is an almost certainty that you were using the open source driver.

Nvidia does this to us, you are not alone. They refuse to publish specifications and the end result are these kinds of abnormalities. It would not matter what distro you chose unless you got blank lucky. You have to play by nvidia's rules, you have no choice that is just the world we live in. I really hate to be the bearer of bad news to you.

I'm a AMD user, I won't lie, and I choose AMD because the driver just works and I don't need to fuss with having to install some extra driver cruft. I just want automagic go from day one. But the reality is that the nvidia binary driver is a very well architected piece of software as much as I dislike it philosophically.
      Unfortunately I was using the proprietary driver back then. I had to reduce the systemd timeout.

I do wonder what using an AMD card would be like in Linux. I only ever hear good things about Linux, rarely the bad. So an honest opinion would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbine View Post

Unfortunately I was using the proprietary driver back then. I had to reduce the systemd timeout.

I do wonder what using an AMD card would be like in Linux. I only ever hear good things about Linux, rarely the bad. So an honest opinion would be good.
        I have a Laptop with Intel iGPU (i7 3rd gen) + AMD dGPU (Southern Islands).
        The AMD card is powered off (and not only in standby) when not in use (99% of the time) and goes on, without me doing anything, if I use DRI_PRIME=1
        They both support Vulkan and Vulkan works on both (one at a time - does anyone have an application that uses multiple GPUs parallel? that'd be great).
        So, from my limited use cases it's perfect and I had to do nothing at all to make it work.

My other rig is a desktop with another Intel (i7 3rd gen) but only because someone gifted it to me, board and all, without iGPU. The GPU is an AMD RX 480 8 GB, the monitor a 25" 2560x1440.
        And here also everything works perfectly, nothing to configure, nothing to do from my side, it just works perfectly. Desktop, Vulkan, native games, Wine'd games and everything.
        The AMD HD 6570 before the RX 480 also worked perfect on my then AMD Phenom II.

So whenever someone says "I have problems with my graphics" I simply cannot relate; it has not once been my experience.
        But, yeah, I would never touch anthing nvidia, both from a moral and a technical reason.

Debian Sid, KDE Plasma

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
          Sure hope there's a PipeWire equivalent.
          Yes, pavucontrol.

Comment

Originally posted by moonlite View Post

Yeah same here. I haven't used any extension for years.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

PulseEffect is the first application fully supporting Pipewire.
              “PipeEffects”?

Comment

I would probably be more excited about this if Fedora 33 did not hang on boot on my laptop ever since kernel 5.11

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

“PipeEffects”?
                  They are thinking about renaming to a generic name https://github.com/wwmm/pulseeffects/issues/874

Comment

Originally posted by set135
                    I suspect most of the demand for this configurability will be handled by the desktops in a more user friendly fashion. However, for example, there already exists wlr-randr for wlroots based wayland compositors as a command line tool, so this type of stuff can still be exposed.
                    Gnome isn't wlroots based though. Neither is KDE. Welcome to the fragmentation that is Wayland. And welcome to the world where your options are limited to what compositor-specific tools expose, which may or (more likely) may not include the options you need.

Comment

I really hope they publish an upgrade guide this time around. Too many of Fedora’s releases add great features, but they’re not enabled on upgrade. You need to hunt through dozens of wikipages to discover the changes and how to apply them to your system.

Comment

Working...
                      X