Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 21.04 Enjoys Better Performance But Still No Match To Intel's Clear Linux

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu 21.04 Enjoys Better Performance But Still No Match To Intel's Clear Linux

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 21.04 Enjoys Better Performance But Still No Match To Intel's Clear Linux

    As we have been showing in a few articles already, Ubuntu 21.04 is in good shape performance-wise and generally coming ahead of Ubuntu 20.10 and 20.04 LTS. We've seen that on a number of systems in the lab, but how does this better performance out of Ubuntu 21.04 compare to say Intel's Clear Linux? Here are some benchmarks.

    https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=30148

  • #2
    It doesn't look like that clear is somehow magically better. It is mostly package versions and compiler optimizations. Clear might be a tad more streamlined, but I don't expect that alone to have a marginal effect on performance.

    It is not a realistic expectation for a more generic version to be a match for a highly optimized version.
    Last edited by ddriver; 23 April 2021, 11:07 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ddriver View Post
      It doesn't look like that clear is somehow magically better. It is mostly package versions and compiler optimizations. Clear might be a tad more streamlined, but I don't expect that alone to have a marginal effect on performance.
      Clear makes use of AutoFDO for some packages among other optimizations and patches in some cases.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Michael View Post

        Clear makes use of AutoFDO for some packages among other optimizations and patches in some cases.
        I think they use FDO instead.

        Comment


        • #5
          I decided to testdrive the beta of this non-LTS release in live session on some very recent piece of kit and it indeed figured out and configured all of it correctly, so well done on that front.

          Everything was very smooth (yay Wayland!) and even attractive until I again hit the usability wall that is Gnome post 3.0...

          I still manage to appreciate many things Canonical has done and is doing, but would I again recommend their main edition to someone I personally deal with? Hmm...

          Comment


          • #6
            Are the various flavors performing any different from one another like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, etc?

            Comment


            • #7
              Does Clear Linux compile their packages against specific optimization range of x86-64 in addition to other optimizations? Such as x86-64-v2,3, or 4?

              Michael's testimonial is right on the Clear Linux front page--didn't notice that before.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by misGnomer View Post
                Everything was very smooth (yay Wayland!) and even attractive until I again hit the usability wall that is Gnome post 3.0...
                Man, you're living dangerously. When the GNOME fanboys wake up from naptime they're going to go ballistic on you... :P

                The best thing about Ubuntu is that you don't have to put up with GNOME. (Though GTK3 garbage like CSD is creeping into it more and more with each release as packages get updated and developers reach the point of exhaustion from having to constantly fight random GTK breakage in every upstream release).

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by arQon View Post

                  Man, you're living dangerously. When the GNOME fanboys wake up from naptime they're going to go ballistic on you... :P

                  The best thing about Ubuntu is that you don't have to put up with GNOME. (Though GTK3 garbage like CSD is creeping into it more and more with each release as packages get updated and developers reach the point of exhaustion from having to constantly fight random GTK breakage in every upstream release).
                  whats the alternative? kde is almost dead

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am running Ubuntu 21.04 on a pretty old and low spec Dell Inspiron that came with Ubuntu originally, and it has been a blast. Every animation is smooth, the operating system is very responsive, everything seem to fit well and the whole system to me a joy to use. I just hope this were an LTS release so that I can run for a good long time.
                    Last edited by motang; 25 April 2021, 09:26 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X