Arch-Based Endeavour OS Spins Up April Release, Adds Sway Community Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arch-Based Endeavour OS Spins Up April Release, Adds Sway Community Edition

Phoronix: Arch-Based Endeavour OS Spins Up April Release, Adds Sway Community Edition

While Arch Linux now has its own convenient installer for quick and easy Arch installs, for those in search of an out-of-the-box, desktop-friendly Arch based Linux distribution Endeavour OS remains one of the leading options in 2021. This weekend marks the availability of Endeavour's April 2021 install media refresh...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't say ive ever had luck with these, from AUR issues, to some editions flat out blacklisting broadcom drivers by default, and then re blacklisting them on update which is asinine at best. I cant say I really understand the worth of these anymore, use the new arch installer or (Its your choice) use manjaro (Just use vanilla).

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      I can't say ive ever had luck with these, from AUR issues, to some editions flat out blacklisting broadcom drivers by default, and then re blacklisting them on update which is asinine at best. I cant say I really understand the worth of these anymore, use the new arch installer or (Its your choice) use manjaro (Just use vanilla).
      Over the long-term that's basically the experience I've had with most every Arch-based distribution. It makes sense, though. The Arch repos constantly move. Unless you fork them and maintain it yourself you'll always be one step behind them and your repos risk going incompatible until a rebuild without notice. Note that I feel the same way about using Arch User Provided Repos like arch-zfs. I'm a follower of "You either get it from the official repos or the AUR". No user provided repos for me.

As an old Antergos user I wish them and their users the best of luck.

Oh, and those tiling setups look nice. IMHO: the tiling configs are the best thing about most forks and community editions. Wanna see me lost: Put me on a default, unconfigured tiling desktop

Me: Right Clicks
      Sway:
      Me: Well OK then. I'm off to the Googles.

Comment

I've been using it for a few months now and never had a single issue. When you have to install frequently and don't want to reconfigure every single bit, it's a lot better than the arch installer. Same if you want to experiment with the different desktops. Btw Manjaro doesn't use the official arch repos.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Oh, and those tiling setups look nice. IMHO: the tiling configs are the best thing about most forks and community editions. Wanna see me lost: Put me on a default, unconfigured tiling desktop

Sway:
          Couldn't agree more! Everytime I see a youtuber talking about spectrewm or Xmonad or the like I'm like I LOVE this workflow it's what I need! Tries to set it up from blank config. Gets nowhere. These preconfigured setups are the best!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Over the long-term that's basically the experience I've had with most every Arch-based distribution. It makes sense, though. The Arch repos constantly move. Unless you fork them and maintain it yourself you'll always be one step behind them and your repos risk going incompatible until a rebuild without notice. Note that I feel the same way about using Arch User Provided Repos like arch-zfs. I'm a follower of "You either get it from the official repos or the AUR". No user provided repos for me.

As an old Antergos user I wish them and their users the best of luck.

Sway:
            Hahaha I pretty much only know how to use vanilia sway now. with some basic tweaks it is a lovely experience. really damn good for older low res laptops.

Comment

Hahaha I pretty much only know how to use vanilia sway now. with some basic tweaks it is a lovely experience. really damn good for older low res laptops.
              I switched to sway to get the "pure wayland experience" over a year ago and never looked back. There were hurdles but overall it's great. I spent the first 2 weeks or so fidgeting with menu systems and configs but once I got it done I never touched anything ever again.

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

I switched to sway to get the "pure wayland experience" over a year ago and never looked back. There were hurdles but overall it's great. I spent the first 2 weeks or so fidgeting with menu systems and configs but once I got it done I never touched anything ever again.
                for me, I just got so fed up with bloat that sway is what I landed on, I wanted to migrate away from xorg, simply so I could be ahead of the curve, Honestly nothing has changed much for me aside from sdl not playing nice when using libvirt (you need it or spice socket for virgl accel). but other than that its been a pretty good experience. very happy with it

Comment

Working...
                X