Jonathan Carter Re-Elected As Debian Project Leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duff~ View Post
    Why is it concerning that there's only one female developer from India? Perhaps Indian women have other interests?
    Something I cannot wrap my head around is, how is 'a large amount of money' expended to increase diversity (let say more female indian developers). To me diversity in THIS regard, happens out of interest. You cannot buy that.
    Their total population is 1,390,885,000 with approximately 359,802,209 women between 15-64. They have more women in that age group than America has people.

In light of that, only 1 in 359,802,209 Indian women being involved with Debian doesn't seem even the slightest bit odd to you? In a country renowned for using computers and being tech support, only one woman is involved in Debian. That isn't odd at all to you?

I don't know enough about their culture to suggest how to get Indian women involved in Debian, Linux, or FOSS in general, but seeing the raw numbers I see her point completely and think it's very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Hz View Post
      tildearrow is censoring at lightning speed these days. Imagine being an unpaid forum janitor. He does it for free...
      You are the one who is being very rude. Have any reason to insult me?
      This is not censor; you are just breaking rules.
      If you were a little less rude it would be acceptable...

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Their total population is 1,390,885,000 with approximately 359,802,209 women between 15-64. They have more women in that age group than America has people.

In light of that, only 1 in 359,802,209 Indian women being involved with Debian doesn't seem even the slightest bit odd to you? In a country renowned for using computers and being tech support, only one woman is involved in Debian. That isn't odd at all to you?

I don't know enough about their culture to suggest how to get Indian women involved in Debian, Linux, or FOSS in general, but seeing the raw numbers I see her point completely and think it's very strange.
        The only reason to be concerned about this is if Debian was nefariously conspiring to keep Indian women out of their community. Since that is not the case, numbers don't matter. If Indian women wanted to be Debian developers, they would be.

Comment

So - Indian women in tech are smart enough not to work for free for a project that puts wokeness above productivity? They actually want decent paying jobs with legit organizations that value their contributions?

I don't think I've ever had more respect for Indian women in tech!

Comment

only 1 in 359,802,209 Indian women being involved with Debian doesn't seem even the slightest bit odd to you?
            No. There's more projects. With far more money on the table. Like Microsoft, Google, or even Apple. They're more fancy, flashy, and attractive.
            Again. It's all about INTEREST.

Please read this statement and think carefully if something this ridiculous EVER happened:
            Originally posted by ozric View Post
            Debian nefariously conspiring to keep Indian women out of their community.
            You can swap indian or women to any 'minority'.

Comment

Fwiw; from what i've seen that the mentioned country renowned for computers and being tech support (India) is purely Windows exclusive;rightfully.

Because that is where most customer tech support/successful scam attempt possibility is.

Linux/FOSS community is pretty much dead for those people from a money making standpoint.

So even if they have 999 billion population, result would be similar.

That is not about numbers therefore ,having so less devs involved with Debian from there is not a concern; both for male and female population.

Comment

Good, Its always nice to see companies keeping a straight head on, the product is what matters, not the diversity, If people want to contribute let them, it matters not if they are male or female, don't gate keep, also don't emphasize diversity, skill and quality matter much more than that

The Debian Project will not issue a public statement on whether Richard Stallman should be removed from leadership positions or not. Any individual (including Debian members) wishing to (co-)sign any of the open letters on this subject is invited to do this in a personal capacity
                This is good, Nothing is more annoying when groups pretend to speak for the "Best interest" when it's no more than a pandering effort, also could care less about their opinions, I like Debian for the OS, not some opinion of a couple of people I may agree or disagree with, Neutral is the best stance to take here.

Comment

I'm going to reply to most of y'all at once because a lot of those replies combined are probably close to the answer: Higher MS and Apple (non-Linux) market penetration with most all tech jobs supporting those technologies. India has high poverty rates so them not investing their time on something like Linux where they're likely not going to profit makes sense as well. Look at China, Mexico, and other countries: as their poverty rate drops and their middle class grows, so does Linux adoption. India having high tech support levels likely won't change the middle class Linux adoption trends we see elsewhere.

It could just be bad advertising ... not getting the message out there good enough. If in twenty some odd years you only get one in hundreds of millions of a demographic like that then you're obviously not doing a good job getting your brand out there and visible for the world to see.

Comment

Sounds great.

- Not joining the anti-RMS mob
                    - comming to their senses that modern racism an sexism (aka "diversity") is nonesense.

Comment

Originally posted by gabber View Post
                      Sounds great.

- Not joining the anti-RMS mob
                      - comming to their senses that modern racism an sexism (aka "diversity") is nonesense.
                      To an extent. If you went to a cookout with 30 people and all there was were 50 cheap hot dogs you'd be a little upset. No buns, just 50 cheap dogs. Perhaps if the host threw in a 6 polish sausages and an 8 pack of buns it would be a bit better; would still suck if you're not one of the 5 who got a bun or a good sausage cause you just know two or three people will be selfish grab two buns.

Comment

Working...
                      X