Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Tumbleweed Now Offering GNOME 40

Phoronix: openSUSE Tumbleweed Now Offering GNOME 40

While openSUSE/SUSE is known for their friendliness towards the KDE desktop, this week's openSUSE Tumbleweed updates have made GNOME 40 available on this rolling-release distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sometimes it's nice to see rolling distributions mentioned .... fix releases enjoy this privilege with each release, but rolling releases usually don't have new versions, they just update and have the latest software available.
    Yes, yesterday was a nice surprise, I have two Tumbleweeds one KDE and the other Gnome and it was nice to see them moving forward to Gnome 40 and Plasma 5.21.4. But there was also the kernel, mesa etc.
    Great job, I love Tumbleweed.

Comment

openSuse is friendly to ALL desktops...
      congrats to GNOME fans using openSUSE!

Comment

Among rolling distros I find openSUSE Tumbleweed to be particularly polished. It's such a pleasant distro to use.

Comment

I think I might give opensuse a try for my daily driver. I've been using Debian sid, but I don't like the freeze periods. opensuse doesn't have those, correct? The last time I tried it was on a hard disk and package management was terribly slow. Now I'm armed with PCI-e SSD's!

Comment

openSUSE Leap is my go-to distro for servers, and Tumbleweed is my go-to distro pick for desktops and development. They make a nice combination for my computing needs, and updating the traditional version has been straightforward since openSUSE 10.days.

Last edited by acobar; 16 April 2021, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              I think I might give opensuse a try for my daily driver. I've been using Debian sid, but I don't like the freeze periods. opensuse doesn't have those, correct? The last time I tried it was on a hard disk and package management was terribly slow. Now I'm armed with PCI-e SSD's!
              No freeze periods. Tumbleweed is interesting for a few reasons, one of which is that every update is essentially a full snapshot. You can do some interesting niche things like pinning your system to a certain update, and more importantly things don't go sideways if you choose to wait a while between updates. The zypper/yast/snapper integration is fantastic and every rolling release distro should do something similar by default (great snapshot integration with either Btrfs or ZFS).

I really liked Tumblweed and ran it on all my daily use personal systems for over a year, with Leap on HTPCs. But lately I've had some issues with it. E.g. during a fresh install a few weeks ago, I enabled SSH and opened the firewall for it as usual, but I couldn't SSH in afterwards. I did the usual sudo systemctl enable sshd --now to get it started (it wasn't running). Still couldn't connect. Looked at the firewall config in yast and my wireless interface wasn't even listed and the zone for the wired ethernet was wrong. All fixable things, but a regression I've never seen before. I've actually been happier with Fedora & KDE due to issues like that and others, but YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post
                openSUSE Leap is my go-to distro for servers, and Tumbleweed is my go-to distro pick for desktops and development. They make a nice combination for my computing needs, and updating the traditional version has been straightforward since openSUSE 10.days.

https://en.opensuse.org/Lifetime
                Is this a "mIcro$oft forever"(tm)(c)(R) Rental license usage like win10(meaning until they decide enough and pull the carpet under your feet) ?

- Linux : living without the pimps
                Last edited by onlyLinuxLuvUBack; 16 April 2021, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

Is this a "mIcro$oft forever"(tm)(c)(R) Rental license usage like win10(meaning until they decide enough and pull the carpet under your feet) ?

No, Leap is usually supported for 3 years, some releases get extended support.
                  The license with which it is released is similar to that of all other gnu / Linux distributions is not like that of Microsoft, you just need to read it.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

In the time it took to write that mess, I'm sure you could have just looked up the information.

Comment

Working...
                    X