Devuan 4.0 Alpha Builds Begin For Debian 11 Without Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

And people of who actually DO something about it and go the "other way" will get endless shower of shit from the fanatics of systemd. You just cannot "live and let live". You are like children who would endlessly bully and attack others who are not like you.
    While I agree with you that the Devuan devs should not receive such shitstorms, there is a reason for it happening and that is the vast extreme amount of shitposting from the anti-systemd crowd in the first years that lead to the creation of Devuan. Yes people should not give in to an eye for an eye but sometimes you just reap what you saw and the shit that Devuan receives is nothing compared with the shit that we "pro" systemd people have received over the years here, on Slashdot and other venues.

In fact I would be so bold to claim that the Devuan devs have collectively received less shit than what Lennart Poettering single-handedly have received.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

While I agree with you that the Devuan devs should not receive such shitstorms, there is a reason for it happening and that is the vast extreme amount of shitposting from the anti-systemd crowd in the first years that lead to the creation of Devuan. Yes people should not give in to an eye for an eye but sometimes you just reap what you saw and the shit that Devuan receives is nothing compared with the shit that we "pro" systemd people have received over the years here, on Slashdot and other venues.

In fact I would be so bold to claim that the Devuan devs have collectively received less shit than what Lennart Poettering single-handedly have received.
      Nobody deserves to receive shit for their work, and what happened to Lennart Poettering is disgusting... regardless of what people think about the projects he was involved in. At least we know though, so we can improve the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox
        To quote lennart himself "Open Source community is full of assholes, and I probably more than most others am one of their most favourite targets."
        The biggest complaint about him is that he despises the users and belittles and ignores the bug reports. A quote like that shows how little he thinks of the users. Not a good look. Not even Torvalds has ever been openly anti-user. In fact, Torvalds fights the devs on behalf of the users more often than not.

Comment

I think Devuan receives shitstorms on a regular basis for a reason. I'm not aware of any ongoing bashing of Obarun, Slackware or any of the other non-systemd distros and forks. What sets Devuan apart is the attitude and supreme arrogance that led to its creation. Whether it's their laughable VUA Manifesto, their open letter in which they usurped the right to talk on behalf of the Debian community, the way they hoped that their then-potential fork would be a serious threat towards Debian or their generally messianic mentality that they are somehow saving the world from systemd, all that made sure they got permanently labelled as world class a$$holes. Then there is the conspicuous gap between their grandiose claims and the reality of another niche distro that barely registers in terms of user base and developer community.

Comment

Been using it since the first alpha. If you dislike Devuan, you dislike what Debian was. The difference is what made me switch.

Comment

Originally posted by a7v-user View Post

The systemd service file for Redshift/Redshift-GTK has "Restart=Always" which means it's impossible by any means to shut down the first instance, or any instance of redshift. Systemd will just restart every redshift process again. It really should be "Restart=on-failure" instead.

Place a file in /etc/systemd/user/redshift-gtk.service.d/override.conf with:
              Code:
              [Service]
              Restart=on-failure
              Thanks, very nice of you!

Anyway I found it but it looks like it is not enabled, I tried to override it wit the default command but it didn't work, maybe now I understood why you suggested me to do it manually...

Comment

Anyway Debian and Devuan are working closely to make Debian init agnostic again, Devuan would likely disappear once Debian would able to provide whatever init system you think is better for your scope. Because there wasn't since the beginning any real reason to be tied with systemd since the Debian is a community project made by volunteers and is better continue to have a broader approach as it used to be. The hidden point is that some devs involved in the init debate where somehow involved in other project as employees and you cannot exclude that some of those received pressure to push systemd.

I am totally fine with systemd when it solves many of yours job issues, creating a common ground for many IT workers, programmers or computer scientists, but there are also simple end users that do not have their needs and it is cool if you can use the computer the way you like, Debian serves this scope and should be focused on guarantees to anyone a free use of its OS.

There are at least 6 main distros backed by sponsors to solve and improve any issues and topic related with systemd, isn't this already enough?
                Last edited by Danielsan; 19 April 2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox
                  It's funny howw on all those machine's and over all those years yout havent encountered 1 of the 6000+ closed & 1300+ open issues, Guess you must of been busy reading the gaurdian taking in the horseshit being spat out by EU bureaucrats.
                  What's up with the strawmanning? The context was specifically the things that you claimed made system dictate how you had to use your system so why NOW bring in the number of Open Issues and pretend that it was something that we where talking about?

And no, I have never read The Guardian, I'm not from the UK.

Comment

What's up with the strawmanning? The context was specifically the things that you claimed made system dictate how you had to use your system so why NOW bring in the number of Open Issues and pretend that it was something that we where talking about?

And no, I have never read The Guardian, I'm not from the UK.
                    The Guardian is not just in the UK, for example I'm happily NOT reading it in Australia

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

The Guardian is not just in the UK, for example I'm happily NOT reading it in Australia
                      Of course, but the context of the "discussion" was Brexit and it seemed from SilverFox that he thought that I was a remainer.

Comment

Working...
                      X