Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devuan 4.0 Alpha Builds Begin For Debian 11 Without Systemd

Phoronix: Devuan 4.0 Alpha Builds Begin For Debian 11 Without Systemd

Debian 11 continues inching closer towards release and it looks like the developers maintaining the "Devuan" fork won't be far behind with their re-base of the distribution focused on init system freedom...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a crook. I really don’t understand this non sense around init system freedom. All Devaun is, is a waste of developer resources.

Comment

That distribution name is so close to "Denuvo" so that I thought this is a followup to the previous Denuvo Article. Sorry.

Comment

Ah yes the freedom to choose... any init other than the industry standard one. Love that freedom

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
          Ah yes the freedom to choose... any init other than the industry standard one. Love that freedom
          Even though I don't like the "system in the system" philosophy of systemd that was X's philosophy, sticking with the "industry standard" would mean we'd stay with Windows and IE. Not sure it is that great... The real problem with systemd is that everybody else is plugged on it, so the main desktop environments won't work without it. So yes from one standpoint the init freedom is a waste of resources, but on the other hand it is not that bad. But it won't make me switch to Devuan, I'm much happier with Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by gojul View Post
            so the main desktop environments won't work without it.
            And what's the problem with that?

Systemd is FLOSS: if the main DEs use it, there will always be someone maintaining it too. We do not run the risk of it going away overnight like it was a proprietary thing.

Much like Linux itself.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
              Then use Debian. Devuan is only for without systemd.

Comment

It's a lot more than being just another of the many, many distros without systemd.

It's also a distro with runit, openrc, sysvinit. A distro with its own built-in tools for making live USB snapshots and respins of a running system. A distro with its own vibrant tree of child distros with a wide assortment of capabilities.

And it's a distro without an insane code of woke social conduct governing its every move, which may be its most endearing aspect.

Comment

I also dont like the idea of every desktop being beholden to one init system, when that was never the case prior.
                  Hi

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    What a crook. I really don’t understand this non sense around init system freedom. All Devaun is, is a waste of developer resources.
                    Oh no! People using their time how they see fit! We can't have any of that! Into the gulag with them!

Comment

Working...
                    X