No announcement yet.

Devuan 4.0 Alpha Builds Begin For Debian 11 Without Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been using it since the first alpha. If you dislike Devuan, you dislike what Debian was. The difference is what made me switch.

Comment

Originally posted by a7v-user View Post

The systemd service file for Redshift/Redshift-GTK has "Restart=Always" which means it's impossible by any means to shut down the first instance, or any instance of redshift. Systemd will just restart every redshift process again. It really should be "Restart=on-failure" instead.

Place a file in /etc/systemd/user/redshift-gtk.service.d/override.conf with:
      Code:
      [Service]
      Restart=on-failure
      Thanks, very nice of you!

Anyway I found it but it looks like it is not enabled, I tried to override it wit the default command but it didn't work, maybe now I understood why you suggested me to do it manually...

Comment

Anyway Debian and Devuan are working closely to make Debian init agnostic again, Devuan would likely disappear once Debian would able to provide whatever init system you think is better for your scope. Because there wasn't since the beginning any real reason to be tied with systemd since the Debian is a community project made by volunteers and is better continue to have a broader approach as it used to be. The hidden point is that some devs involved in the init debate where somehow involved in other project as employees and you cannot exclude that some of those received pressure to push systemd.

I am totally fine with systemd when it solves many of yours job issues, creating a common ground for many IT workers, programmers or computer scientists, but there are also simple end users that do not have their needs and it is cool if you can use the computer the way you like, Debian serves this scope and should be focused on guarantees to anyone a free use of its OS.

There are at least 6 main distros backed by sponsors to solve and improve any issues and topic related with systemd, isn't this already enough?
        Last edited by Danielsan; 19 April 2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverFox View Post
          It's funny howw on all those machine's and over all those years yout havent encountered 1 of the 6000+ closed & 1300+ open issues, Guess you must of been busy reading the gaurdian taking in the horseshit being spat out by EU bureaucrats.
          What's up with the strawmanning? The context was specifically the things that you claimed made system dictate how you had to use your system so why NOW bring in the number of Open Issues and pretend that it was something that we where talking about?

And no, I have never read The Guardian, I'm not from the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

What's up with the strawmanning? The context was specifically the things that you claimed made system dictate how you had to use your system so why NOW bring in the number of Open Issues and pretend that it was something that we where talking about?

And no, I have never read The Guardian, I'm not from the UK.
            The Guardian is not just in the UK, for example I'm happily NOT reading it in Australia

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

The Guardian is not just in the UK, for example I'm happily NOT reading it in Australia
              Of course, but the context of the "discussion" was Brexit and it seemed from SilverFox that he thought that I was a remainer.

Comment

Of course, but the context of the "discussion" was Brexit and it seemed from SilverFox that he thought that I was a remainer.
                Well in the context of Brexit there was no shortage of propaganda on both sides.

Comment

Now, who's straw manning? Brexit was never brought up until now by yourself, And nowhere in my posts have i accused you of being a remainer. There are other countries in the EU that have plenty of dislike for Brussels, Other than the UK.

I compared systemd, Because of the issue I've mentioned, And I've been accused of spreading Myths and lies, being a brexiter and straw-manning because of it.

Yet there you are, Spreading myths and lies about Brexit, (Russian involvement), And the FUD you made over several years and thousands of system's that somehow have managed to bypass all of those issues reported to systemd's git, Some of those have been very important security issues that would off affected all of those systems.

So, as for Straw-manning, That's all on you. You look for confrontation, Steer the argument somewhere else, And go PwN'd!

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Apart from the self-perpetuating meme about systemd being "bloated" (any actual evidence of that?)
                    Sure.

FreeBSD 13: ps -A | wc -l

Ubuntu Server: ps -A | wc -l

All default, no extras added.
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 20 April 2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Sure.

FreeBSD 13: ps -A | wc -l

Ubuntu Server: ps -A | wc -l

All default, no extras added.
                      And.....? Firstly you are counting the total number of processes in the OS, which has basically nothing to do with whether systemd us "bloated" or not. Secondly if your point is that somehow less processes=better then your ideal is obviously MS-DOS.

Comment

Working...
                      X