X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BwackNinja
    replied
    Originally posted by chromer View Post
    No One is forced to use this tool, it's a command available in Arch Medium for anyone who like guided installation. Still manual , full customized installation is far better option for experienced users.
    That's the exact opposite concern. The normal Arch installation process introduces you to the wiki and the fact that you'll be explicitly making decisions yourself along with what it takes to do that. It's nice because it's not actively unfriendly and encourages understanding of your own system. It pushes forward an idea of empowering self-reliance with the tools to make that seem reasonable.

Being forced to install manually encourages you to be in that mindset. The fear is that the introduction of this tool will cause a greater influx of people who then have a working Arch Linux system without the self-reliance and comfort with finding information to handle common situations themselves.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by loganj View Post

forum is already full of people not being able to do simple things that they can do with other distros. and that same forum is full of people that slap the noobs and close their posts.
    plus i for one would enjoy very much an easy way to install arch instead of running all over wiki on a phone and jumping from page to page to page to page to ....and having to come back from the start and so on and on....
    This is not true. These days Arch manual installation is so simple even a chimpantzee with dementia can do it. Seriously. If for some reason people can't do it, there is no reason for them to use Arch, period.

Leave a comment:

• Sethox
    replied
    Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
    Good. You can't install it yourself means you can't maintain it.
    There have always been install scripts for Arch. My point is to keep them unofficial.
    Talk about gatekeeping users, forgetting the fact that there are different kind of scenarios where not all users are maintainers, example: family member.
    Unofficial or not, making it easier for people PLUS an alternative is still better than nothing, best of both worlds even.

Leave a comment:

• juxuanu
    replied
    Originally posted by loganj View Post

forum is already full of people not being able to do simple things that they can do with other distros. and that same forum is full of people that slap the noobs and close their posts.
    Good. You can't install it yourself means you can't maintain it.

There have always been install scripts for Arch. My point is to keep them unofficial.

Leave a comment:

• loganj
    replied
    I don't like it. Forums will be flooded with users not knowing what they have installed.
    plus i for one would enjoy very much an easy way to install arch instead of running all over wiki on a phone and jumping from page to page to page to page to ....and having to come back from the start and so on and on....

Leave a comment:

• smartalgorithm
    replied
    wow, now even i can try arch linux haha

Leave a comment:

• Lanz
    replied
    Man, Gnome looks positively retro in that screenshot.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    I also think this is great - I appreciate how Arch can be as advanced or as simple as you want, with minimal compromises. Sure, even this guided installer isn't the most glamorous or user-friendly, but frankly, if you can't handle this then you can't handle Arch in general. So it's a good way for newcomers to get into Arch without getting too frustrated or overwhelmed.

Leave a comment:

• SilverFox
    replied
    So when someone say's 'RTFM', you can now say 'I did!'

Leave a comment:

• chromer
    replied
    I don't like it. Forums will be flooded with users not knowing what they have installed.
    No One is forced to use this tool, it's a command available in Arch Medium for anyone who like guided installation. Still manual , full customized installation is far better option for experienced users.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X