Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leipero
    replied
    BwackNinja That would be all fine if your assumption is correct, see, the issue is, there's really no distribution alternative to Arch, it's main advantages over ohter distributions:
    1. have simple and quick package manager and it's very flexible.
    2. Use "vanilla" packages whenever it's possible.
    3. Use simple and straight forward way for configuring the system.
    4. It's rolling release, once you have it installed it's done for years even decades in some cases.

Other Arch based spins have some shared advantages, but it often happens that people who do those spins add their own choices in it, and that really goes against philosophy of Arch. Needlesly memorizing every single command is not something useful (unless you do only installations every single day) one can have from such distribution.

schmidtbag I'd say the most time consuming part is configuration of the base packages, otherwise I agree. In theory (and practise/reality in at least last few years) you install Arch once, and you are done.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Ouch, the Arch diehards aren't going to like this as they believe that Arch shouldn't be quick and easy to install.
    Maybe that's the case about being easy, but a real Arch diehard would say it should be quick to install and wouldn't need the Wiki. As far as I'm concerned, Arch very well could be the fastest distro to get installed with modern capabilities and a robust package manager.

And speaking of the wiki, I think this is actually a good option for people like me, who use Arch regularly but only install it once in a blue moon. I know what I'm doing, I know how to follow the wiki, and I get the gist of how to set up the system, but I don't have it memorized and it can be rather tedious needing a separate device as a reference. The most tedious part of Arch is the base install process, and this basically helps speed that up.

The thing is, much of the beauty in the Arch installer is how it's scriptable. Well, this is basically just a pre-made script that applies to the majority of users.

Leave a comment:

• creoflux
    replied
    Originally posted by BwackNinja View Post
    Nobody is there to open it for you and say, "why yes, you're a real Arch user now and get to tell everyone."
    Sounds like a gap in the market... how much do you think people would be willing to be authenticated as legit Arch users? I could detect the justified amount of smugness in their tone perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• r_a_trip
    replied
    Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    This is not true. It is not about "posing". [ snip ]
    Then this wasn't addressed to you. There are areas of the net where being able to follow instructions is equated to being god-like by some Arch users. Where people insinuate that you don't know what Linux is until you install Arch.

Leave a comment:

• BwackNinja
    replied
    Originally posted by Sethox View Post

Talk about gatekeeping users, forgetting the fact that there are different kind of scenarios where not all users are maintainers, example: family member.
    Unofficial or not, making it easier for people PLUS an alternative is still better than nothing, best of both worlds even.

This might be a point if Arch Linux was the only Linux distro. It's not even the most popular.

It's not a gate, it's a hurdle. Nobody is there to open it for you and say, "why yes, you're a real Arch user now and get to tell everyone." A distro shouldn't have to be for everyone. Arch Linux's problem is its popularity from giving people a smug sense of superiority and for being rolling-release. It filled a niche well enough (simple, vanilla, rolling-release, easily-configurable), that people outside the niche came, but that doesn't mean that those new people should be catered to. There are more than enough alternatives, and there are distros based on Arch.

If a family member isn't also going to be a maintainer, I don't think Arch Linux is a proper fit. Maintaining a system for someone who isn't going to become independent is already a burden. No need to make it worse on yourself.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
    This is quite a disturbance in the force. How will poseurs feel important, now that every joe, Dick and Harry can say "I use Arch, btw."
    This is not true. It is not about "posing". I am a software engineer and while i have been using Arch for many, many years now, i don't consider it an "achievement" in any way, shape, or form. In fact, i most of the time suggest Ubuntu to people, or Windows 10 if they are gamers. The simple fact is most people don't know or don't care to configure their system, and if they can't understand how to install it, they won't be able to maintain it. We are just doing them a favor by letting them know this fact.

Leave a comment:

• Markospox
    replied
    It would be cool if Artix had an installer, more GUI wouldn't be bad, one with easier zfs setup thought of. I also wonder if Artix is as fully developed as Manjaro...

Leave a comment:

• evasb
    replied
    I install my Arch manually but not having an option to have an official guided installation was ridiculous IMO. They had a simpler installation before but after systemd they did this more manual way to install to maintain their reputation as a hardcore distro.

Recently Artix was (and still is) gaining traction with the hardcore audience even being easier to install, and maybe this came to Arch team's attention.
    Last edited by evasb; 04 April 2021, 12:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Ouch, the Arch diehards aren't going to like this as they believe that Arch shouldn't be quick and easy to install.

Leave a comment:

• creoflux
    replied
    Time to fork Arch to "Cinquefoil Arch" and remove the script, that way we can still know who the elites are in the community. Am I right?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X