Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 21.04 Beta Released For This Linux 5.11 Powered Update With Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    Ubuntu/Kylin is also the also the gnome desktop default..
    Wait, was GNOME ported to Qt and KWin? 'Cause Ubuntu Kylin uses UKUI desktop which is written in Qt: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/09/...onment-changes

"UKUI is a Qt-based desktop environment developed by the Kylin team. It is installed by default in the Ubuntu Kylin open source operating system"

And it uses KWin as window manager: https://github.com/ukui/ukui-kwin

---

And Lubuntu does support Wayland 'cause they have been working on it for a few years now: https://news.softpedia.com/news/afte...0-522370.shtml
    Last edited by Vistaus; 02 April 2021, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

He's still trolling: 'only Gnome 4' while it works out of the box in Gnome 3. I always wandered what type of troll is he. I bet he's a cave troll, because he's always uninformed.
      He's an opportunistic troll. Whenever a subject comes up, he looks up the most irksome falsehoods about it and harp on them until everyone is annoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

This can't be possibly true, only Gnome 4 and KDE 5 out of them support Wayland.
        Fedora have been defaulting to Wayland for a few years now. Works perfectly fine with gnome 3, great even on my laptop. Never had to try a remote X application on a device a carry almost everywhere. And most other toolkits/enviroments have preliminary if not entirely stable ports for wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
          Speaking of other desktops, I hope support will come. In the meantime Xorg is not being developed, but it's not dead either.
          First, it's the default display server for Ubuntu 20.04 and for RHEL 7 so if something critical appears in the wild it should be addressed.
          Second, it won't stop working the day after it reaches its EOL.

RHEL 7 is getting no more hardware enablement or new features but feature removal is still allowed if the feature is optional. GUI on RHEL 7 is a optional feature that as support process in Maintenance Support 2 Phase total package removal is allowed. So something critical appears in the wild effecting RHEL 7 its in the Redhat support contract they can just delete the desktop from RHEL 7 and never fix it.

Ubuntu 20.04 has another around of hardware enablement with that they can change to Wayland only if they wish.

Basically both RHEL 7 and Ubuntu 20.04 can deal with a X.org X11 bare metal issue by removing X.org X11 bare metal as a option.

We are really past the point of no return. Its a little simple to miss Ubuntu 20.04 shipped with optional Wayland support that can be switched to mandatory.

You have made a mistake thinking that Redhat and Ubuntu support contracts say they have to support all features shipped up until EOL. In fact those contracts say they can kill out packages with major security issues that don't have upstream maintainers. X11 x.org on bare metal does not have a upstream maintainer so like it or not unless that changes its a removable package from RHEL and Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post

And most other toolkits/enviroments have preliminary if not entirely stable ports for wayland.
            This is patently false but whatever. Show me a preliminary port of XFCE/IceWM/JWM for Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Lubuntu supports Wayland too as they have been working on it for a few years now: https://news.softpedia.com/news/afte...0-522370.shtml
              You know I'm a simple person, I've just gone ahead, downloaded http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/21.04/beta/ and ran it in VirtualBox. No need to trust Softpedia or rumors.

Here's the result:

Wayland continues to be a graphical server/protocol solely for KDE/Gnome and a few very weird window managers.

Comment

HTML Code:
                ps ax | grep -v grep | grep Xorg
                Shellcheck would recommend using

HTML Code:
                pgrep -af Xorg

Comment

This is patently false but whatever. Show me a preliminary port of XFCE/IceWM/JWM for Wayland.
                  First off, none of those are toolkits. Enlightenment, and FTLK are working on support. There's even a campaign to port motif.

Xfce- Has ported to GTK3, which is Wayland complaint, and Wayland features are on the roadmap for 4.18.

JWM - Highly tied to Xlib - Never going to be ported, nor is there need. As you said, there's a handful of lightweight wayland native compositors/WM's, I believe IceWM is in a similar situation. Easier to start from strach than port the features tightly tied to the Xorg libraries.

Sure there are a lot of little maintainance-mode feature complete WM's that have grown around Xorg, but I really I don't see them as that important outside of legacy support. The commercial UNIX's are well down the long tail phase, and the BSD's are moving towards the Linux graphical stack.

Wayland is well situated as a replacement.
                  Last edited by WorBlux; 02 April 2021, 04:00 PM. Reason: s/V/W

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post

First off, none of those are toolkits. Enlightenment, and FTLK are working on support. There's even a campaign to port motif.

Xfce- Has ported to GTK3, which is Wayland complaint, and Wayland features are on the roadmap for 4.18.

JVM - Highly tied to Xlib - Never going to be ported, nor is there need. As you said, there's a handful of lightweight wayland native compositors/WM's, I believe IceVM is in a similar situation. Easier to start from strach than port the features tightly tied to the Xorg libraries.
                    The f**k it matters whether a particular toolkit is ported to Wayland or not when the biggest obstacle for supporting Wayland has always been writing a window compositor/manager for it which is 20 times more difficult than writing a WM for X.org because you have to implement a lot more stuff. Putting pixels on the screen using Wayland is actually easier than for X.org.

Amazing how you've called JWM - JVM and IceWM - IceVM. I could have overlooked the typos but twice? Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post

Shellcheck would recommend using

HTML Code:
                      pgrep -af Xorg
                      Thanks! didn't know about the -af flags for pgrep. I've always used it without flags and this way it only outputs PIDs.

Comment

Working...
                      X