Initial Benchmarks Of Fedora Workstation 34 Beta On AMD Ryzen + Radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial Benchmarks Of Fedora Workstation 34 Beta On AMD Ryzen + Radeon

Phoronix: Initial Benchmarks Of Fedora Workstation 34 Beta On AMD Ryzen + Radeon

Following last week's release of the Fedora 34 beta I've begun trying out this latest Fedora Linux build on a variety of test systems. Here are some preliminary figures of Fedora 34 against Fedora 33 stock and updated configurations when running on an AMD Ryzen 5000 series system with Radeon graphics.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope they can deliver on pipewire. This would be a game-changer for audio and make Linux on of the best rather than worst OS for audio.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
      I really hope they can deliver on pipewire. This would be a game-changer for audio and make Linux on of the best rather than worst OS for audio.
      I hope so. At now it's really annoying to enable one and disable second audio subsystem just for recording audio...

Comment

I have been using it for 2-3 weeks now, only had one issue with manually updating grub. Some things that I really enjoyed:

1. Audio - It is noticeable difference, feels much much better now and external sound cards work directly.
        2. Gnome 40 - I don't even know how I survived without gestures, just try them.
        3. GCC 11

Comment

What happened to Xonotic?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Having to rely on 3rd party extensions (some poorly maintained) for basic desktop functionality is making me rethink GNOME as a DE.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
              I've lightly tested Bitwig Studio 3.3.6 with F34 with the latest updates (GNOME DE) and it works out of the box. No fiddling around, just launch Bitwig and off you go :-)

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
                Having to rely on 3rd party extensions (some poorly maintained) for basic desktop functionality is making me rethink GNOME as a DE.
                The only extension I use is ConnectionManager (drop down for ssh connections) but so far the butchered version that sorta works on F33 also works on F34 so I'm good.

Comment

PSA: if you install an application via gnome-software then please be aware this may instal a flatpak version instead of an RPM. When that happens then "rpm -qa | grep <yourapp> will show nothing. You can not disable flatpaks from the gnome-software app but you can do that with the flatpak cli:

List flatpaks on your system
                  $ flatpak list

Uninstall those flatpaks in gnome-software or with
                  $ flatpak uninstall <yourapp>

Start a terminal and reinstall RPM versions in a terminal with
                  $ sudo dnf install <yourapp>

Disable flatpak with:
                  $ flatpak remote-ls
                  <output about remote>
                  $ flatpak remote-delete <output from previous command>

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by lowlands View Post

I've lightly tested Bitwig Studio 3.3.6 with F34 with the latest updates (GNOME DE) and it works out of the box. No fiddling around, just launch Bitwig and off you go :-)
                    Awesome. Did you try higher sample rates like 96k or 192k?

I might actually shortly switch from Debian to Fedora until Debian becomes unfrozen and includes the pipewire packages.
                    Too bad Debian 10 wont get this (or Gnome 40)

Comment

Working...
                    X