Initial Benchmarks Of Fedora Workstation 34 Beta On AMD Ryzen + Radeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowlands View Post
    PSA: if you install an application via gnome-software then please be aware this may instal a flatpak version instead of an RPM. When that happens then "rpm -qa | grep <yourapp> will show nothing. You can not disable flatpaks from the gnome-software app but you can do that with the flatpak cli:

List flatpaks on your system
    $ flatpak list

Uninstall those flatpaks in gnome-software or with
    $ flatpak uninstall <yourapp>

Start a terminal and reinstall RPM versions in a terminal with
    $ sudo dnf install <yourapp>

Disable flatpak with:
    $ flatpak remote-ls
    <output about remote>
    $ flatpak remote-delete <output from previous command>

Enjoy!
    why do you prefer native vs flatpak?

also, why can you not 'dnf remove flatpak'?

Comment

I've lightly tested Bitwig Studio 3.3.6 with F34 with the latest updates (GNOME DE) and it works out of the box. No fiddling around, just launch Bitwig and off you go :-)
      Really cool - together with OBS-Studio getting full Wayland support this is a very big step on the creator front!

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post

I prefer native because that's what works fine and I don't like the opaque nature of flatpaks (and containers for that matter). I also build patched packages and don't want gnome-software to interfere with flatpaks. "dnf remove flatpak" also removes gnome-software which I use to discover new stuff so want to keep.

Comment

Awesome. Did you try higher sample rates like 96k or 192k?
          Nope, all default so I think thats 48KHz.

Comment

I had tried making the switch a while ago but stopped because it wanted to remove the control panel audio app. That seems to be fixed now but it will remove pulseaudio-module-bluetooth. Is there a separate bluetooth package that needs to be added to replace it or is it built into pipewire?

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
              Is there a separate bluetooth package that needs to be added to replace it or is it built into pipewire?
              Pipewire has built-in Bluetooth support (even aptX and LDAC codecs that used to be a separate package for PA).

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Pipewire has built-in Bluetooth support (even aptX and LDAC codecs that used to be a separate package for PA).
                Thanks for the response. I just switched over and it is all working great. It gives some options for routing audio in my devices I didn't have before which is really helpful. Thumbs up for the developers.

Comment

Nope, all default so I think thats 48KHz.
                  44.1kHz on Debian. I can set pulseaudio to 48kHz and 96kHz. At 192kHz pulseaudio dies and with it the computer. Jack is better but I use it far less now.

Comment

PSA: if you install an application via gnome-software then please be aware this may instal a flatpak version instead of an RPM. When that happens then "rpm -qa | grep <yourapp> will show nothing. You can not disable flatpaks from the gnome-software app but you can do that with the flatpak cli:

List flatpaks on your system
                    $ flatpak list

Uninstall those flatpaks in gnome-software or with
                    $ flatpak uninstall <yourapp>

Start a terminal and reinstall RPM versions in a terminal with
                    $ sudo dnf install <yourapp>

Disable flatpak with:
                    $ flatpak remote-ls
                    <output about remote>
                    $ flatpak remote-delete <output from previous command>

Enjoy!
                    Thanks for that post. I just realized that a couple flatpaks I rather not have installed as flatpaks, some how got on my system.

In someways Fedroa has made a mess of itself with all of these install vectors. To be honest I've had more issues with the stupidity of "modular". Hopefully 34 will be more sensible.

This brings up another question when is it a good time to get rid of old Fedora Platform installs?

Comment

AS the other guy suggested I leave flatpaks to the GNOME side of things. That is let the system manage itself with the stuff I don't care all that much about. Use dnf to install the stuff that isn't GNOME, it also helps to keep custom software isolated from the system.

In a nut shell flatpak just adds another level of complexity to a system that I'd rather not be there. Flatpaks can be tolerated but I really don't see them as a good idea for every thing. Frankly this is the way I handle my Mac OS systems, Let the App store and system manage the stuff coming from Apple and use Homebrew for almost everything else.

Comment

Working...
                      X