Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.4 Beta Released With New Features, Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.4 Beta Released With New Features, Improvements

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.4 Beta Released With New Features, Improvements

Red Hat is ending out the quarter by issuing their first public beta of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

RHEL is dead to me after CentOS. I wonder what the new features are in Ubuntu and FreeBSD?

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
      RHEL is dead to me after CentOS. I wonder what the new features are in Ubuntu and FreeBSD?
      the same as usual, new distros have new packges and kernels the lts have some backports

Comment

This release also includes the 3.0 stream of the container-tools module. Users will have access to Podman v3 through this, which is a pretty major Podman release (pun intended). It’s already landed in CentOS Stream 8.

Cheers,
        Mike

Comment

If you want "calm", then certainly give FreeBSD a test. However, what "new" features do you really need?

Someone looking to replace an enterprise distro is unlikely to need the newer features of Ubuntu or FreeBSD.

Arguably I used CentOS on a few of my servers to get away from new (regressions) features.
          Last edited by kpedersen; 31 March 2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

If you want "calm", then certainly give FreeBSD a test. However, what "new" features do you really need?

Someone looking to replace an enterprise distro is unlikely to need the newer features of Ubuntu or FreeBSD.

Arguably I used CentOS on a few of my servers to get away from new (regressions) features.
            It's tongue in cheek. Not literal.

Kind of like... "Hey, hope none of those RedHat developers get too old to work for IBM.."

Comment

You should go one step further, and back out any commits from Red Hat developers in your code. You don't need their contributions!

Comment

Anyone know what this cool sounding feature is:
                RHEL8 now supports Error Detection and Correct (EDAC) kernel module functionality for newer Intel processors.

Is it an addition to ECC RAM because I thought ECC could already detect and fix single bit errors?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                  Anyone know what this cool sounding feature is:
                  RHEL8 now supports Error Detection and Correct (EDAC) kernel module functionality for newer Intel processors.

Is it an addition to ECC RAM because I thought ECC could already detect and fix single bit errors?
                  If ECC is enabled in the BIOS, that will still happen.

The Linux kernel module is what's needed for reporting the corrected (and any uncorrectable) DRAM errors to the syslog. Since the registers used for ECC change in new generations of processors, the kernel module needs to be updated.

Comment

Working...
                  X