Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlmaLinux Now Available For Download As RHEL/CentOS Alternative

Phoronix: AlmaLinux Now Available For Download As RHEL/CentOS Alternative

At the start of the year CloudLinux announced AlmaLinux as a 1:1 fork of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). In ending out Q1, as promised this CentOS alternative is now available for download...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome. But why others (Rocky etc..) are lagging compared to this one?

Anyways. I was about to setup a new server and this might be my new go to distro for that.

Any suggestions for deployment on a 3rd gen EPYC using this distro?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post
      Enterprise systems don't need to move at quite as fast a pace as hobbyist or enthusiast distros. Plus we still have a sane CentOS for a while more.

We will probably wait for a year (or maybe even two) and then evaluate which one is in a better position then.

Edit: Personally we are waiting to see what the Scientific Linux communities (CERN/Fermilab) are doing. Those guys usually make calculated and well informed choices.

Comment

SkyWarrior https://rockylinux.org/

The current ETA for initial release is March 31.
        So it should be released later today.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWarrior View Post
          Cloud Linux has a paid development team and pre-existing infrastructure resources + knowledge on how to spin up a build infra from scratch on said resources.

Re: EPYC --

Originally posted by Red Hat
          AMD EPYC Zen3 (Milan) Processors are not supported on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7. Systems that have had their CPUs updated from Zen2 (Rome) to Zen3 (Milan) must also have their Operating Systems updated to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.3 or later, in order to maintain their certified/supported status by Red Hat.

While the AMD EPYC Zen2 (Rome) and Zen3 (Milan) processors are electronically compatible, Red Hat does not support in-place upgrades of Zen2 to Zen3 CPUs on systems running RHEL7. In order to maintain a certified/supported status, platforms where Rome (Zen2) CPUs are updated to Milan (Zen3), must have their operating system upgraded from RHEL7 to RHEL8.3 or later. OEMs and Vendors who previously certified under RHEL7 should also undergo recertification with RHEL8.3 or later in order to retain their certified/supported status. Consumers should look for their platform on the Red Hat Hardware Certification Catalog:

https://catalog.redhat.com/hardware/...log_vendor=AMD

Cheers,
          Mike
          Last edited by mroche; 31 March 2021, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Oh I see. It is good to know that RHEL 8.3 is just in time ready for Zen3 therefore Alma's first release should be fine for the system.

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I've been using AlmaLinux since their beta and release candidate. They've done a great job! (ok obviously they know what they are doing, since they already make CloudLinux)

It was sad to see Redhat kill the CentOS project, but at least we have two great alternatives in Alma and Rocky.

I was also quite impressed by Alma's conversion script, it migrated several CentOS 8.3 systems to AlmaLinux 8.3 without a single error/warning.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Enterprise systems don't need to move at quite as fast a pace as hobbyist or enthusiast distros. Plus we still have a sane CentOS for a while more.

We will probably wait for a year (or maybe even two) and then evaluate which one is in a better position then.

Edit: Personally we are waiting to see what the Scientific Linux communities (CERN/Fermilab) are doing. Those guys usually make calculated and well informed choices.
                I didn't know you used such modern distros. I thought you were using archaic hardware which only still ran because Linux was made to keep old computers running

Comment

I started testing AlmaLinux a few hours ago with VNC console install at Upcloud for compatibility testing for my LEMP stack https://community.centminmod.com/thr...console.21216/. Looks good so far

Comment

Originally posted by Devorlon View Post
                    SkyWarrior https://rockylinux.org/
                    So it should be released later today.
                    Community Update - March 2021 Summary This month’s community update is being released a little bit later than the previous updates, as we had hoped to have additional information to announce regarding an initial build image for testing. Unfortunately we’ve had to revise our previous update for a release candidate from March 31 to April 30, due to complications in the build efforts. We continue to make steady progress, and are optimistic about our revised timeline. With respect to our build infr...

Looks like a release candidate is still a month away. Still fine really though, as CentOS dies in December. Plenty of time.

Comment

Working...
                    X