No announcement yet.

Fedora 34 Beta Released With PipeWire In Action, GNOME 40 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using Fedora silverblue 34 on my laptop and it has been amazing so far. I cant really report any bugs (other than one cosmetic one where the shrunk workspace when logging in the first time is ever so slightly off in its dimensions and needs to widen a few pixels the first time the effect is used. There is a fix on the way in gnome gitlab).

Pipewire works exceptionally well (but I still wouldnt be surprised if they decide to punt it to Fedora 35 even at this late stage - cnservatism in such changes is easy).

It has been nice to see Gnome 40 come together.

Comment

some clarification on my setup, i use a mouse and keyboard with a hp omen 27i 27inch 1440p nano ips 165hz screen, razer viper 8k, amd 6900xt, intel 10850k.

i've been very critical of gnome before in the past, so i am by no means a gnome 3 supporter, but out of curoisty i gave fedora 34 beta a try.... i really like the new horizontal workspaces as it feels a lot more natural. it makes sense because if you run a dual or tri monitor setup, the monitors are more than likely be horizontally laid out. not stacked on top of each other vertically. so its like if i was switching to another monitor.

i also happy they finally moved the damn dock to the bottom of the screen. it took them a decade but finally. makes more sense having it at the bottom since there is a top bar. its more fluid, more natural, and more nice. rather than having it shoved into the left corner. it was always awkward there. i still wish they would have the dock show on the desktop too but its a step in the right direction.

i like the control panel. network, bluetooth, mouse, sound, monitor, all of it is incredibly nicely laid out. simple to navigate.

i would like more options in the mouse settings though in regards to acceleration. the default acceleration profile causes my mouse to move way to fast. i would prefer a more "flat" profile. or an option to disable all together any acceleration. on xorg, i just disable acceleration and set my mouse to 1600dpi. behaves similar to 800dpi this way and is completely flat.

they still didn't fix the incorrect refresh rate detection in wayland. defaulted to 60hz instead of my native 165hz.. xorg defaults 165, my motherboards bios defaults 165, even windows does without any drivers. everything does except gnome on wayland. yes i can fix it, but gdm still runs at 60hz even if i set to 165hz inside gnome. pretty annoying as my monitor is lagggggy from the high latency.

outside that hz quirk, i like gnome 4 so far. as much as i don't want to say that. the new layout is a step in a good direction for desktop usage. the deskto felt very responsive and does come off with a nice polish feeling. i didn't feel that typical latency feel when you have a compositor on. if that makes sense. i wish i could try a fast paced game on the live usb to see any wayland latency improvements. but once it hits arch repos, i might give it a try because i can see myself using it. i was impressed.
      Last edited by fafreeman; 24 March 2021, 02:15 AM.

Comment

DNF and zypper are the top two best package managers, I'd take a "slow" transactional package manager over trash like APT any day.

Comment

Originally posted by fafreeman View Post
          they still didn't fix the incorrect refresh rate detection in wayland. defaulted to 60hz instead of my native 165hz.. xorg defaults 165, my motherboards bios defaults 165, even windows does without any drivers. everything does except gnome on wayland. yes i can fix it, but gdm still runs at 60hz even if i set to 165hz inside gnome.
          Sounds like a mutter bug. Can you file an issue at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues , with the output of drm_info (or alternatively xrandr on Xorg)?

Comment

There's a bug with grub and installation using btrfs on Fedora 34, when you use "grub-mkconfig bla bla bla" and reboot, you just can acess the firmware setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
              And, in any case, if you don't want your GTK theme to look like it's out of 2008, the user theme extension is a must have as the minimum minimorum. It's great that they updated adwaita from a 2005 look to a 2008 look though. Maybe by Gnome 50 (or 500, you never know), they'll have a theme feeling like the 20's and looking less amateurish in general.
              OK riddle me this: why do people like you complain about GNOME (or any non-Windows/non-Apple UI) having an outdated UI while going to great strides to make GNOME/KDE/whatever look and behave like Windows 95? Windows 10 looks like Windows 1.0 and I don't see anyone complaining it has an "outdated" look.
              Last edited by angrypie; 24 March 2021, 12:52 PM. Reason: Windows 1.0, not 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Willdrick View Post

I just wish they would stop ignoring the systray icons situation. It's probably the only extension most people need, yet since the days of the tray on a bottom-left drawer getting removed, gnome team has been just covering their ears and showting "I CAN'T HEAR YOU" when the issue comes to the table.
                That was covered a long time ago as the removal of systray icons from the core was planned and expected:
                GNOME 3.26 removes the legacy tray area still used by some desktops apps. We ask whether this decision is really as big of a deal as it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

OK riddle me this: why do people like you complain about GNOME (or any non-Windows/non-Apple UI) having an outdated UI while going to great strides to make GNOME/KDE/whatever look and behave like Windows 95? Windows 10 looks like Windows 1.0 and I don't see anyone complaining it has an "outdated" look.
                  Your assumption that I make my UI look like Windows 95/10 is already flawed. Of course, in your Gnome mind, there's just one modern DE and all others are not, because Gnome has both the single version of the workflow truth and the single version of the modern paradigm truth. I don't see the point in developing a reply when the mindset is so biased and so many shortcuts are taken.

Users don't point out the antiquated theme look, but they do something similar. Indeed, the vast majority just change the theme (or have it done on a silver platter through most distros).
                  Making it one extension already.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                    Your assumption that I make my UI look like Windows 95/10 is already flawed. Of course, in your Gnome mind, there's just one modern DE and all others are not, because Gnome has both the single version of the workflow truth and the single version of the modern paradigm truth. I don't see the point in developing a reply when the mindset is so biased and so many shortcuts are taken.

Users don't point out the antiquated theme look, but they do something similar. Indeed, the vast majority just change the theme (or have it done on a silver platter through most distros).
                    Making it one extension already.
                    Your assumption that I have a "GNOME mind" (or that it exists outside of your own mind) while not addressing the point I made is already flawed, but whatever, you're doing me a favor by not replying to me anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

You mean the beta doesn't boot on a secure boot system or that stable Fedora releases don't work with secure boot enabled on your system(s)? Fedora definitely supports secure boot. I have it enabled on my Latitude laptops and Fedora installs/boots just fine.
                      yes.

it's both actually. the previous versions worked fine on my laptop, but apparently canonical/ms released some sort of key (?) that upgraded the uefi (that's what guys from s/fedora said) and while i can still boot ubuntu lts (and newer) or opensuse (tumbleweed or leap 15.3 beta) the fedora is, sadly, out of reach for me. so are the custom kernels ffs

Comment

Working...
                      X