Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shells.com Continues Work On Supporting More Linux Distros For This "Cloud Desktop"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shells.com Continues Work On Supporting More Linux Distros For This "Cloud Desktop"

Phoronix: Shells.com Continues Work On Supporting More Linux Distros For This "Cloud Desktop"

Shells.com is a "personal cloud computer" that makes it possible to have a remote secure desktop from the browser whether it be running on a smartphone, tablet, smart TV, or other device. They have been supporting a number of different Linux distributions while more continue to be on the way...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The prices in the article are the monthly rates if one buys a year's worth of service. It's 11.95 and 39.95 using their per-month pricing. The $4.95 plan has a 100 hour limit so it really is just a test drive. Yearly rate, their good plan is $443 a year for a quad core system with 160GB of storage and 8GB of ram.

To put that into perspective, for $220 last month I bought my Mom a 4c Skylake with 8GB ram, 160GB SSD, and Windows 10 Pro because she needed a cheap desktop...well, $320 including the monitor and wifi adapter. $320 for a real desktop or $443 for a virtual desktop, equal specs.

While interesting and pretty cool, I think it's a bit costly when comparing their costs to the used and low end markets for long-term budget-friendly business solutions and end-user desktop replacements.

Comment

I you want a self-hosted free open-source alternative, you can check out IsardVDI: https://www.isardvdi.com/

Comment

Ummm, from their "Team" page. . . Mark Karpeles is the CTO? "Lil' Flip" is a partner? Is this a joke?

Comment

I like this one: www.anonvdi.ca

Protip: if you want audio, select the Block Adult Content option and select the Ubuntu Media image

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            To put that into perspective, for $220 last month I bought my Mom a 4c Skylake with 8GB ram, 160GB SSD, and Windows 10 Pro because she needed a cheap desktop...well, $320 including the monitor and wifi adapter. $320 for a real desktop or $443 for a virtual desktop, equal specs.

While interesting and pretty cool, I think it's a bit costly when comparing their costs to the used and low end markets for long-term budget-friendly business solutions and end-user desktop replacements.
            To be fair, thin client/remote desktop benefits are supposed to be about "overall cost", which includes cost of upgrades, system administration efforts, etc. They are supposed to be a lot less fuss. Whether any of the previous solutions actually delivered on that promise is debatable. And I'm certainly not sure about Shells. . .

Comment

Any linux server (gcp, aws, linode, etc) can be turned into a desktop with Xvfb and x11vnc

Comment

The tech support onus is now on Company X, not You, skeevy420 😁

But I agreein this case, the price seems a little hard to swallow, and trying to convince some one who just bought/inherited (generally, a luddite) a PC that they now need to pay just as much YEARLY is a hard sell to La Famiglia, mates, et al.

Does anyone remember Sun Rays, or Sun's subsequent post-bubble efforts to bring remote desktop to the masses?
                Hi

Comment

Working...
                X