RHEL In Your Car? Red Hat Building Out Automotive Infotainment Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Like it or not, that's how the world see it; that's their stereotype. Like how Vancouver is Little Hollywood and Georgia is Redneck Hollywood. All the former Russian satellite states are still seen as Little Russia regardless of the validity of the stereotype.
    Stereotypes usually come from partial truths (whether people like it or not, indeed), but the reality behind it evolves over time as well and stereotypes can go away. All these countries have considerably grown apart from Russia for a while now. Especially Czech Republic which has been in the EU for 15+ years.
    In Europe we don't really see Czech republic as an eastern block anymore, it's actually central these days anyway given the extent of the EU (Georgia - the country - and Armenia we welcome you). I worked in collaboration with Czech for 2 years (a lot of development is happening in there, not just Red Hat), I went to Praha way before and during that time and beside the monolithic blocks communist architectural heritage, the mindset has drifted away from Russia, I can also see it every day with my acquaintances from the European neighborhood (EU institutions).
    Even if you get closer to Russia, don't ever tell a Lithuanian their country is essentially Russia. It isn't (I went) and it's a sensitive topic.

jacob I must have picked the worst nightly for 21.04 last week. I couldn't even change windows with the primary mouse click. I found a workaround where tab bars would register clicks so I had to click Firefox and Terminal tabs to change windows.
    It's not adressed to me but you're probably refering to this :
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1917926
    And it's been solved in the meantime.

Some countries, especially in the EU, have agreements where citizens don't need visas to work in-between them. They're usually for migrant workers like farm hands
    It's much more than that. It's not on a per-agreement basis within the EU member states. It's pure free movement of workers, where you can essentially go wherever you want to apply without anything else than your ID card. For Russia and non members though, it's a different story depending on agreements, EEA, Schengen, and countries positions towards these.
    Last edited by Mez'; 17 March 2021, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      Stereotypes usually come from partial truths (whether people like it or not, indeed), but the reality behind it evolves over time as well and stereotypes can go away. All these countries have considerably grown apart from Russia for a while now. Especially Czech Republic which has been in the EU for 15+ years.
      In Europe we don't really see Czech republic as an eastern block anymore, it's actually central these days anyway given the extent of the EU (Georgia - the country - and Armenia we welcome you). I worked in collaboration with Czech for 2 years (a lot of development is happening in there, not just Red Hat), I went to Praha way before and during that time and beside the monolithic blocks communist architectural heritage, the mindset has drifted away from Russia, I can also see it every day with my acquaintances from the European neighborhood (EU institutions).
      Even if you get closer to Russia, don't ever tell a Lithuanian their country is essentially Russia. It isn't (I went) and it's a sensitive topic.
      Now let me tell you about Xenophobic America . Especially the part of it where I'm from .

It's not adressed to me but you're probably refering to this :
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1917926
      And it's been solved in the meantime.
      Oh, good. I have the damnedest timing with things like that. Seriously. If an OS has a buggy release, of course that's they one I'm gonna flash

It's much more than that. It's not on a per-agreement basis within the EU member states. It's pure free movement of workers, where you can essentially go wherever you want to apply without anything else than your ID card. For Russia and non members though, it's a different story depending on agreements, EEA, Schengen, and countries positions towards these.
      I was just trying to be optimistic and adding a "Hey, you might get lucky with the laws in your area" comment. It sucks feeling like you have to give up because of where you live. I live in a smaller town in Arkansas so I get that.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

this is the year of linux on the dashboard!
        Year of the Linux Server: 2000
        Year of the Linux Phone: 2010
        Year of the Linux Dashboard: 2021?
        Year of the Linux Video Game Console: 2025?
        Year of the Linux Desktop: $(($(date +%Y)+1))

Comment

KDE Plasma Mobile Wayland in future EV's, please! :-)

Comment

Now let me tell you about Xenophobic America . Especially the part of it where I'm from .
            The nation founded by immigrants, that accepts the largest number of immigrants in the world, year after year, is "xenophobic". Mmmkay. Someone has been watching too much Communist News Network.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              The nation founded by immigrants, that accepts the largest number of immigrants in the world, year after year, is "xenophobic". Mmmkay. Someone has been watching too much Communist News Network.
              Unfortunately I live in a pretty racist part of the country that still flies Trump flags and never quit flying their Virginia Battle Flag. Some places here are xenophobic and very racist. The two seem to go hand in hand. A lot of the people here support border walls, terrorist lists, and, frankly, they're down for anything that makes it harder for anyone to live a better life even if it screws them over. It's a pretty fucked up country; at least the southern part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                The nation founded by immigrants
                "Immigrants". Don't pretend people can't see through your white supremacist whitewashing history-revisionist bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                  "Immigrants". Don't pretend people can't see through your white supremacist whitewashing history-revisionist bullshit.
                  Immigrants V1 -- Embrace -- set up colonies, make peaceful treaties with various native tribes
                  Immigrants V1 -- Extend -- expand colonies, break treaties and lie about it to save face, import immigrants to work for us
                  Immigrants V1 -- Extinguish -- give native tribes small pox blankets, stomp their heads in with boots to save ammo, reservations

Immigrants V2 -- Embrace -- import new workers for increased productivity and better lives for all*
                  Immigrants V2 -- Extend -- enact runaway slave laws; make indentured servitude illegal
                  Immigrants V2 -- Extinguish -- a Civil War; end slavery for black people**

Immigrants V3 -- Embrace -- Land of the Free, Home of the jobs that don't pay well, please come and do them (we miss slaves)
                  Immigrants V3 -- Extend -- Social Security, Civil Rights laws, etc
                  Immigrants V3 -- Extinguish -- police brutality, children in makeshift Walmart jails, war on drugs while supplying the drugs***

Immigrants V4 -- Embrace -- You tell me, this is where we're currently at.

*and they believed that
                  **the V1 native tribes were still slaves out West
                  ***seriously, the CIA sold crack and cocaine to fund guns in the middle east

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Considering Weston has a particularly special focus on IVI, future cars may run Wayland if this is a reality...
                    Already do.

In fact -- if you have experience with Wayland & compositor development and the Linux desktop stack, and working for an OEM & shipping into Mercedes-Benz vehicles sounds interesting, do get in touch. We are actively hiring.

--Eike
                    Last edited by Sho_; 18 March 2021, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sesivany View Post

I work for Red Hat in Brno and we have quite a few colleagues who relocated from Russia here, so it's certainly possible. Most of the paperwork is done by an agency the Red Hat contracts for and Red Hat also pays the expenses. However, any relocation from outside the EU means extra cost for the company, and there is a risk the employee won't settle down in the new location and will go back home soon, so it's not like Red Hat offers it to any candidate.
                      Well, I tried and it didn't quite work out. I looked through existing positions at Czech, and the most interesting one for me seemed to be a GDB developer. I tried applying there. They were looking for Junior, so I'm way overskilled for this position, but looking at average Junior payment at Red Hat I'm fine with it, and the position is more interesting than my current job as well. Some minutes ago I got a reply:

Thank you for applying to the Debugger Software Engineer position, Job ID XXXXX.

At this stage in the hiring process, we’ve decided to move forward with other candidates
                      Oh, well. One odd thing I noticed is that when I apply to the job from Russia, the site says "This page is not available from your current location", however upon doing so through a Netherlands VPN it works fine, even though Netherlands is not Czech. This looks as if Russia specifically blocked, unless I misunderstand something.

Comment

Working...
                      X