Canonical Talks Up Why Ubuntu Is A Great Replacement To CentOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post
    Though I must admit that Netplans idea of using white space as part of its syntax is nuts from a UX point of view...
    I actually like the white-space requirement. It forces people that make the configuration to properly format it.

Can't tell you how many times I had trouble finding an issue because nothing was properly formatted. At least when it looks the same it's easier to spot the differences between configs.

Comment

Ubuntu is just Debian plus some extra malware and flavour-of-the-month fads that'll be deprecated by EOY. Using Ubuntu for any purpose is a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by grung View Post
        One difference between Ubuntu 5y support vs Centos 5y support is that you can do in place upgrade of Ubuntu. Try to do this on Rhel or Centos...
        At work I do migration from Rhel6 to rhel7 and it is world of pain. At the same time I have Ubuntu on my home server which I'm regularly upgrading. It never failed me and it is up to date. If I had RHEL7 I would have to do full reinstall to RHEL8 - no thank you...
        My CentOS 6 => 7 Upgrade was a nightmare that created all sort of hassles.

On the other hand my Ubuntu LTS server recently had a upgrade that fucked up making OpenJRE dependencies too new completely fucking over existing systems and was a PITA to trace.

And then there's my Arch server, at least I can BTRFS Snapshot the root partition to backup /etc/ configs, databases, package cache, and have separation of the /home/ directories for snapshot too.

The only thing that can't be snapshotted is /boot because UEFI requires fat32.

I don't have to YOLO my updates on Arch like CentOS and Ubuntu where it's either incredibly fucking broken and you have a planned "Day_In_Hell" of downtime. Also, the system can be restored to a specific chronological date via Arch Linux Archive -- https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive.

Canonical being based in the UK makes them undesirable besides their NIH one step forward two steps back nonsensical nature.

RedHat on the other hand, a subsidiary of IBM is now influenced by the Communist Party of China money so my faith in them as a entity is at a all time low.

I guess that means It's time for Arch Servers, Gentoo Servers, and FreeBSD :P
        Last edited by ElectricPrism; 08 March 2021, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Is anyone considering moving to Rocky Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            CentOS:
            10 Years Support
            Close to Upstream
            Supported by the people (or rather was) that work closely on the upstream projects
            No Vendor Lock In
            Community Project

Ubuntu:
            5 Years Support
            Vendor Lock In
            Long history of just abandoning projects
            Long history of not working well with upstream (next Ubuntu freezes gnome due to not liking it's direction)
            Company is based out of a tax haven

Yep, great replacement.
            Ubuntu:
            LTS server iso, boots sees blank drive when it is already gpt+efi+multi-os, later they have iso that need self installer updating.
            ^ how do you ship os iso for LTS without testing install?

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

My CentOS 6 => 7 Upgrade was a nightmare that created all sort of hassles.

On the other hand my Ubuntu LTS server recently had a upgrade that fucked up making OpenJRE dependencies too new completely fucking over existing systems and was a PITA to trace.

And then there's my Arch server, at least I can BTRFS Snapshot the root partition to backup /etc/ configs, databases, package cache, and have separation of the /home/ directories for snapshot too.

The only thing that can't be snapshotted is /boot because UEFI requires fat32.

I don't have to YOLO my updates on Arch like CentOS and Ubuntu where it's either incredibly fucking broken and you have a planned "Day_In_Hell" of downtime. Also, the system can be restored to a specific chronological date via Arch Linux Archive -- https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive.

Canonical being based in the UK makes them undesirable besides their NIH one step forward two steps back nonsensical nature.

RedHat on the other hand, a subsidiary of IBM is now influenced by the Communist Party of China money so my faith in them as a entity is at a all time low.

I guess that means It's time for Arch Servers, Gentoo Servers, and FreeBSD :P
              I'm finding Arch more and more usable, and less and less regularly broken. That said, the only time I had a truly unfixable (by me, admittedly, someone else may have solved it) FUBAR with Arch was on a laptop where I stuffed it in drawer for a year, then booted it up one day and tried to update it. Oh, boy, that did not end well...

Any particular reason for Canonicals base of operations to make them undesirable?

Can't you make /boot snap-shot-able by making /boot/EFI a separate FAT32 partition and /boot ext2 or something?

Originally posted by CleanCut View Post
              Is anyone considering moving to Rocky Linux?
              No. At least, not for a minimum of a year after release. I'm fortunate that the only CentOS boxes we currently have are 7 (got rid of 8 on the one box it was on due to other issues) but when support for those running 7 ends, I'll be moving them elsewhere. Maybe Oracle, for the laughs, but probably Debian... or Arch if I'm feeling masochistic...

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

Ubuntu:
              LTS server iso, boots sees blank drive when it is already gpt+efi+multi-os, later they have iso that need self installer updating.
              ^ how do you ship os iso for LTS without testing install?
              By not testing it.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Hz View Post
                Ubuntu is just Debian plus some extra malware and flavour-of-the-month fads that'll be deprecated by EOY. Using Ubuntu for any purpose is a mistake.
                Weren't you banned?

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
                  Oh cool, I have a say where private businesses use their money? Maybe I'll go to my current employer and say:
                  (...)
                  Let's see how that flies with my employer.
                  You probably think you don't really have a chance at changing your employer's ways, and you're probably right. If you can't change their ways, may I suggest that you might consider changing your ways? Start applying for a new job at a different company.

I keep seeing news articles about our company being sued for things like misleading investors and bribing doctors to use our products. Maybe instead of our executive members grifting we could use some lawsuit defense money for upgrading our 90's era production software, engineer training programs so that shifts other than dayshift could have maintenance and engineering support, and slightly higher pay so that more than half your workforce isn't working two jobs to support their families when you'd think a medical device manufacturer could afford to pay higher than what is now Target's minimum wage
                  So, your issues with the current employer are:
                  1. They're not spending enough on upgrading software and training
                  2. They're not paying enough in wages
                  3. They are resorting to bribing doctors and misleading investors, in order to make more sales.

If they're resorting to #3, they probably can't afford to do #1 and #2, so yes, your rant will likely fall on deaf ears.

The fallacy is that "a medical device manufacturer could afford to pay higher." How many of these medical devices are being sold in a year? If it's only being sold to doctors, that sounds like a small number in my opinion. Only a fraction of the world's population is in need of a doctor at any given moment -- most of the time people are healthy and aren't visiting the doctor's office. Of those that do visit the doctor, how many are actually in need of the device your company sells? Probably another smaller fraction of people. And if it's a device that gets re-used over and over again rather than being used up and re-purchased regularly? yikes.

I used to work for a medical software company, so I can relate to where you're coming from. Pay wasn't great. Being on-call for support at any time of day, night or weekends sucked. But I stuck with it for many years because I thought helping people in need made it a worthwhile cause. But then cost cutting measures like off-shoring development made it suck so much that I finally found myself a new job, working for a semiconductor manufacturer. My new job was still helping those same people in a round about way, as software always needs semiconductors to run on. But my new job sold into the entire world population rather than only the fraction of people seeking medical care. And thus, pay was way better, no more 24/7 on-call, excellent training, excellent software and equipment, etc.

Comment

I only used CentOS to run old proprietary programs.

Installations on Ubuntu LTS may be supported by the vendors that used to demand RHEL and SLES, but I would rather install everything on Debian.

Comment

Everyone smells blood in the water.

No matter how good their offering is or isn't compared to CentOS-that-was, Canonical are right to try to lure more users and customers - not trying is just leaving money on the table. Even Oracle was making a good business move, no matter what one believes of their company otherwise. Canonical moved late, though. I hope that means they were checking/updating plans to move customers from CentOS to Ubuntu, and any such migrations go smoothly. Botched transitions make the whole industry look bad, and at least some of the people involved won't deserve the direct consequences, either.

Comment

Working...
                      X