X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post

yep, the configuration you have is pretty unique and i cannot say much about that. Also never heard of that gentoox. Usually i recommend sticking with that major distro vendors...
    for tumbleweed i recommend using this recourse:
    Summarized data about the changes and stability of Tumbleweed snapshots.

here you can check the stability score and the list of the bugs before installing them with tumbleweed-cli... this will give you semi-fixed release experience.
    i recommend going only with stapshots that have 95+ score and also if they don't have some "scary" bugs for your use case...
    wish you all the best with your journey, hope you'll find your safest harbor...
    Today was the first time I've come across it myself. I normally stick to the major distros too, but the combination of things it offers is right up my alley. I've always wanted to get into Gentoo and this seems like a lazy-ass way of doing it. Kind of got caught up in a Star Wars marathon so writing the iso to a usb drive is as far as I've made it in the install process.

Funnily enough, and bad in regards to system maintenance, I really don't worry too much about things going wrong during updates on distributions like Tumbleweed. About the only time I take interest is when I see the bootloader or systemd in the update queue since almost every other kind of update can be Timeshifted back. It's not like Manjaro where the default setup is to roll along with no fallback or backups...which is why I assume Garuda Linux is pickup up so much momentum. But back on topic, that Tumbleweed review does seem pretty handy. Nice to have a checklist of current bugs like that.

Leave a comment:

• smartalgorithm
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Aside from my kernel hangup it really surprised me that it didn't just work, but due to my newer and odd hardware combination I'm not holding it against them. I will say that I fired up a Tumbleweed live ISO and everything just worked aside from having to tweak the global scale and logging off and back on. Same with Manjaro. IMHO, they should probably note somewhere that AMD 4000 and up APUs need Tumbleweed.

I'm thinking about giving gentoox a shot. Just happened to stumble across it on Google. Never heard about it until today. Optimized OS, SUSE-inspired BTRFS with timeshift, KDE, gaming optimized kernel with extra ZFS support...it's like someone took all my favorite things and rolled them into one. About the only thing I disagree with is using LZO with BTRFS...but looking at the install script that's an easy enough fix (compress-force=zstd:2 FTW).
    yep, the configuration you have is pretty unique and i cannot say much about that. Also never heard of that gentoox. Usually i recommend sticking with that major distro vendors...
    for tumbleweed i recommend using this recourse:
    Summarized data about the changes and stability of Tumbleweed snapshots.

here you can check the stability score and the list of the bugs before installing them with tumbleweed-cli... this will give you semi-fixed release experience.
    i recommend going only with stapshots that have 95+ score and also if they don't have some "scary" bugs for your use case...
    wish you all the best with your journey, hope you'll find your safest harbor...

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

Totally agree on using additional repositories... I really don't understand people installing some really LTS distro and then add repo for the kernel, then for the desktop then for other libs and apps... Defaults should work, if not then wait for an upgrade or switch to Tumbleweed. As with main and official repos you get consistently tested as a whole ecosystem and that is something someone would want to have Leap spin of openSuse... same goes with tumbleweed spin where adding repos are even more weird.. So i hope you gonna have better times with Leap 15.3 which is near. Usually from the RC phase things are super stable...
    Aside from my kernel hangup it really surprised me that it didn't just work, but due to my newer and odd hardware combination I'm not holding it against them. I will say that I fired up a Tumbleweed live ISO and everything just worked aside from having to tweak the global scale and logging off and back on. Same with Manjaro. IMHO, they should probably note somewhere that AMD 4000 and up APUs need Tumbleweed.

I'm thinking about giving gentoox a shot. Just happened to stumble across it on Google. Never heard about it until today. Optimized OS, SUSE-inspired BTRFS with timeshift, KDE, gaming optimized kernel with extra ZFS support...it's like someone took all my favorite things and rolled them into one. About the only thing I disagree with is using LZO with BTRFS...but looking at the install script that's an easy enough fix (compress-force=zstd:2 FTW).

Leave a comment:

• smartalgorithm
    replied

"Stable" is a suggestive term. Found the scaling settings, it was rendering weird and increasing the font DPI made it easier to find. Adjusted scaling, turned off the forced DPI, rebooted and the global scaling isn't scaling fonts for only QT programs. Been fiddling with the KDE UI settings and rebooting for the past 20 minutes trying to get a halfass looking desktop. GTK fonts scale with both DPI and global scaling, QT fonts only scale wtih DPI.

Long story short. I'm not having a good time. I know all the fixes for all my problems and could fix them the Arch Way by editing a few things under /etc since a lot of the tearing and font issues I have are a quick xorg.conf edit and a reboot away.

FWIW, I appreciate the response. Problem is I've done that before and enough of those repositories added turns into dependency hell come update time. Past experience tells me that, currently for SUSE, I'd be better off on Tumbleweed versus trying to rig up SLE or OpenSUSE up with newer stuff. I've had that experience on practically every distribution where "add this repo or that ppa" is the common answer for fixes. While OK for the short term, that never seems to work out well for me in the long run.

Slightly related: I really get all these "KDE sucks" comments a lot more now. If this was my introduction to KDE Plasma I'd never use it again. I know it works better, just not with the current combination of my hardware and their software versions.
    Totally agree on using additional repositories... I really don't understand people installing some really LTS distro and then add repo for the kernel, then for the desktop then for other libs and apps... Defaults should work, if not then wait for an upgrade or switch to Tumbleweed. As with main and official repos you get consistently tested as a whole ecosystem and that is something someone would want to have Leap spin of openSuse... same goes with tumbleweed spin where adding repos are even more weird.. So i hope you gonna have better times with Leap 15.3 which is near. Usually from the RC phase things are super stable...

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post

It is the stable openSUSE version. But the nice thing is, you can turn on addional, official(!) repositories to fetch the latest KDE version. For openSUSE 15.2:
    Qt: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...SUSE_Leap_15.2
    Frameworks: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...SUSE_Leap_15.2
    Applications: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...SUSE_Leap_15.2

"Stable" is a suggestive term. Found the scaling settings, it was rendering weird and increasing the font DPI made it easier to find. Adjusted scaling, turned off the forced DPI, rebooted and the global scaling isn't scaling fonts for only QT programs. Been fiddling with the KDE UI settings and rebooting for the past 20 minutes trying to get a halfass looking desktop. GTK fonts scale with both DPI and global scaling, QT fonts only scale wtih DPI.

Long story short. I'm not having a good time. I know all the fixes for all my problems and could fix them the Arch Way by editing a few things under /etc since a lot of the tearing and font issues I have are a quick xorg.conf edit and a reboot away.

FWIW, I appreciate the response. Problem is I've done that before and enough of those repositories added turns into dependency hell come update time. Past experience tells me that, currently for SUSE, I'd be better off on Tumbleweed versus trying to rig up SLE or OpenSUSE up with newer stuff. I've had that experience on practically every distribution where "add this repo or that ppa" is the common answer for fixes. While OK for the short term, that never seems to work out well for me in the long run.

Slightly related: I really get all these "KDE sucks" comments a lot more now. If this was my introduction to KDE Plasma I'd never use it again. I know it works better, just not with the current combination of my hardware and their software versions.

Leave a comment:

• Go_Vulkan
    replied
    they have an older KDE version
    It is the stable openSUSE version. But the nice thing is, you can turn on addional, official(!) repositories to fetch the latest KDE version. For openSUSE 15.2:
    Qt: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...SUSE_Leap_15.2
    Frameworks: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...SUSE_Leap_15.2
    Applications: http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...SUSE_Leap_15.2

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    So I had a few minutes and, oddly, the APU graphics work fine aside from some Firefox screen tearing but the RX 580's desktop is basically unusable...which sucks because the installer used the APU (like I wanted it to) and the first boot decided to switch to the 580 for the primary desktop and APU as secondary and it, well, that setup makes it next to unusable if a person doesn't know how to quickly configure a KDE desktop. Eventually I plan on PCI trapping the 580 making that sort of moot, but still, I can see this being a show stopper for a new user with both a dGPU and an APU from AMD.

Aside from that, well, they have an older KDE version w/o the screen scaling settings so I had to change the DPI. Logged out, logged on, it froze. Did a ctrl+alt+f2 into a virtual terminal, rebooted, it works fine aside from the 580 thing, but I got stuff to do so I'll mess with it later in 6 or so hours. That's as far as I've got in the process . If anyone has any ideas on the GPUs I'd appreciate it because it just worked on my previous Manjaro setup and I haven't had multiple GPUs in 11 years until now.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied

Still cannot see your main problem there. OpenSUSE's Kernel is patched heavily for CPU architectures, Hardware Drivers, and Security. So each new release gives you the most stability with most adequate Hardware support all that in a nice LTS capsule. So I still recommend you to give it a try, and if it just works then you may stick with that...
    I'm gonna give it a try. I wouldn't be posting if that wasn't the case. They're the only distribution that has an official, on the front page, KDE desktop, an LTS base, and official AMDGPU drivers. As a KDE and AMD user, that means something to me. Tomorrow, maybe later tonight, will be when I actually have the free time. As a geek, though, when I see 5.3 knowing I have hardware that needs 5.8/5.9 it makes me a little leery. I think that's an understandable and relevant thing for a more advanced user to take notice of.

cynic Tumbleweed. It's pretty up to date and has a fantastic backup and restore strategy for the odd times When Rolling Distributions Attack, Tuesdays at 9/8c only on Fox. It was probably my number 3 used distribution in the past 4 years, only being topped by Manjaro (my go-to) and Silverblue (it interests me). If all you want to do is just use your system with up to date software and a fallback then Tumbleweed makes a great choice.

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    As far as i can know that deal didn't hurt fedora much, so you still may continue enjoying using it.
    Sure, I agree that Fedora won't be affected at all by the deal.

However I'm afraid that it might get worse on the server side and if that happens I'm going away from the whole RHEL/CentOS/RockyLinux ecosystem and since I like having the same tools both on servers and workstations I might change it all.

But for any other reason your best bet for replacing it would be the Tumbleweed spin of the OpenSuse, as it has the most cutting edge software stack at any point as a rolling release distribution(considering the fact that fedora is very cutting edge distro). Additional thing you should consider that Opensuse comes close to vanilla settings and with the most security in mind...
    Thank you for your kind answer!

Last time i tried OpenSUSE (it was several years ago) I remember they have very patched packages and I didn't liked it very much. I'm happy to hear they are closer to vanilla right now.

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

I assume you like recent packages since you are on Fedora. Tumbleweed for desktops/laptops and Leap for servers is a nice combo. Tumbleweed is rolling, but they have some really nice defaults with BTRFS and snapshots integrated with zypper/yast and grub. So if you ever have a problem you can just pick a previous auto created snapshot in grub.
    thank you very much for answering.
    I've been an heavy btrfs user since forever, and that's one of the reasons I'd like to give OpenSUSE a try!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X