openSUSE Leap 15.3 Beta Begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post

Totally agree on using additional repositories... I really don't understand people installing some really LTS distro and then add repo for the kernel, then for the desktop then for other libs and apps... Defaults should work, if not then wait for an upgrade or switch to Tumbleweed. As with main and official repos you get consistently tested as a whole ecosystem and that is something someone would want to have Leap spin of openSuse... same goes with tumbleweed spin where adding repos are even more weird.. So i hope you gonna have better times with Leap 15.3 which is near. Usually from the RC phase things are super stable...
    Aside from my kernel hangup it really surprised me that it didn't just work, but due to my newer and odd hardware combination I'm not holding it against them. I will say that I fired up a Tumbleweed live ISO and everything just worked aside from having to tweak the global scale and logging off and back on. Same with Manjaro. IMHO, they should probably note somewhere that AMD 4000 and up APUs need Tumbleweed.

I'm thinking about giving gentoox a shot. Just happened to stumble across it on Google. Never heard about it until today. Optimized OS, SUSE-inspired BTRFS with timeshift, KDE, gaming optimized kernel with extra ZFS support...it's like someone took all my favorite things and rolled them into one. About the only thing I disagree with is using LZO with BTRFS...but looking at the install script that's an easy enough fix (compress-force=zstd:2 FTW).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Aside from my kernel hangup it really surprised me that it didn't just work, but due to my newer and odd hardware combination I'm not holding it against them. I will say that I fired up a Tumbleweed live ISO and everything just worked aside from having to tweak the global scale and logging off and back on. Same with Manjaro. IMHO, they should probably note somewhere that AMD 4000 and up APUs need Tumbleweed.

I'm thinking about giving gentoox a shot. Just happened to stumble across it on Google. Never heard about it until today. Optimized OS, SUSE-inspired BTRFS with timeshift, KDE, gaming optimized kernel with extra ZFS support...it's like someone took all my favorite things and rolled them into one. About the only thing I disagree with is using LZO with BTRFS...but looking at the install script that's an easy enough fix (compress-force=zstd:2 FTW).
      yep, the configuration you have is pretty unique and i cannot say much about that. Also never heard of that gentoox. Usually i recommend sticking with that major distro vendors...
      for tumbleweed i recommend using this recourse:
      Summarized data about the changes and stability of Tumbleweed snapshots.

here you can check the stability score and the list of the bugs before installing them with tumbleweed-cli... this will give you semi-fixed release experience.
      i recommend going only with stapshots that have 95+ score and also if they don't have some "scary" bugs for your use case...
      wish you all the best with your journey, hope you'll find your safest harbor...

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post

yep, the configuration you have is pretty unique and i cannot say much about that. Also never heard of that gentoox. Usually i recommend sticking with that major distro vendors...
        for tumbleweed i recommend using this recourse:
        Summarized data about the changes and stability of Tumbleweed snapshots.

here you can check the stability score and the list of the bugs before installing them with tumbleweed-cli... this will give you semi-fixed release experience.
        i recommend going only with stapshots that have 95+ score and also if they don't have some "scary" bugs for your use case...
        wish you all the best with your journey, hope you'll find your safest harbor...
        Today was the first time I've come across it myself. I normally stick to the major distros too, but the combination of things it offers is right up my alley. I've always wanted to get into Gentoo and this seems like a lazy-ass way of doing it. Kind of got caught up in a Star Wars marathon so writing the iso to a usb drive is as far as I've made it in the install process.

Funnily enough, and bad in regards to system maintenance, I really don't worry too much about things going wrong during updates on distributions like Tumbleweed. About the only time I take interest is when I see the bootloader or systemd in the update queue since almost every other kind of update can be Timeshifted back. It's not like Manjaro where the default setup is to roll along with no fallback or backups...which is why I assume Garuda Linux is pickup up so much momentum. But back on topic, that Tumbleweed review does seem pretty handy. Nice to have a checklist of current bugs like that.

Comment

Working...
        X