Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Void Linux Has Been Working To Deliver Great POWER Support

Phoronix: Void Linux Has Been Working To Deliver Great POWER Support

Void Linux, a rolling-release distribution we have covered before that is known for its XBPS package manager and interesting design decisions like using the Runit init system and supporting the Musl C library, has recently been working on enhancing its POWER CPU architecture support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo::::::

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    There has also been OpeJDK Java improvements,

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Typo::::::
      has should be have

Plurality typos irk me even though I do them from time to time myself.

Comment

They should work to get Firefox running on PowerPC 32 computers like Mac G3 IMac, PowerBook, PowerMac and EMac. Grub support for OldWorld PowerPC Macs and the earliest NewWorld Macs (Lombard PowerBook) would be great too. Maybe collaborate with the Debian PowerPC folks!

Comment

Apparently they are switching to OpenSSL.

Comment

I really enjoyed Void when I tried it out about 3 years ago, it was blistering fast—infact the fastest distribution that I have ever used. Would have stuck with it if were not for a few things. To me it is very Slackware like, which was a huge big plus, what kept me away was a need to get a lot of software that the current distribution has almost out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
              I really enjoyed Void when I tried it out about 3 years ago, it was blistering fast—infact the fastest distribution that I have ever used. Would have stuck with it if were not for a few things. To me it is very Slackware like, which was a huge big plus, what kept me away was a need to get a lot of software that the current distribution has almost out of the box.
              How did you measure the speed? Do they use some special compiler options? Apparently this musl provides faster libc experience?

Comment

caligula

My conscious attention to the operation of it. I akin it to the instantaneous visiting of .
                Last edited by creative; 28 February 2021, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Hopefully some kernel enthusiasts will contribute the optimizations required for Void to beat ClearLinux

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    How did you measure the speed? Do they use some special compiler options? Apparently this musl provides faster libc experience?
                    VoidLinux maintainer here. There are very few optimisations done in terms of speed. We actually even have some compiler options enabled that sacrifices speed in order to improve security. I think it's more of a feeling than anything measurable

Comment

Working...
                    X