Mageia 8 Released - Flips On AMDGPU For Older GCN GPUs, Better ARM Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Go use windows? Compared against windows, any desktop linux distro has simply abysmal amount of users, devs and maintainers..
    Sorry, but who said anything about Windows? Thanks for the advice, but I don't need that system.. and I don't agree that "any desktop linux distro has simply abysmal amount of users..", it's just not true.

Comment

Originally posted by creoflux View Post

This is such a weird hostile position, does Mageia's existence threaten anything (outside of some butterfly effect causality)? It sounds like maybe it just isn't the distribution for you.
      It is a hostile position indeed, but it isn't that weird. I do blame all these scattered projects for making Linux such a weird place to be. When after 10 years, a distribution still gets released once in a while, without any reliable support and schedule (I don't even mention how this is bad security-wise) then you are wasting so much manpower just trying to reinvent the wheel over and over and over again..
      Last edited by GdeR; 27 February 2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

You can learn a little about the current situation in the distribution from the entry of one of its contributors. https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...eb2x&context=3
        Assuming that is true, it's a sad state of affairs for Mageia. I used it all the way from the first release when it was forked from Mandriva up to the fourth release before dropping it for Fedora.

At that time, it was one of the few distributions which could be considered as bleeding edge as Fedora, with every new release always bundling the latest or the next-most-latest upstream packages. They also had really nice theming for KDE and Gnome; i particularly love their colour schemes and their unique segmented status progress bars.

But it was unfortunate that they insisted on keeping the MCC, which, IMO was a complete pile of garbage. The default package manager (urpmi, urpme) was also garbage, and easily the worst package manager I ever had the misfortune of using. I also had some beef with the way their TTY and terminals are configured. Unlike other distributions where pressing tab does not autocomplete anything unless the working directory only has one file or if the first character is supplied, and pressing tab twice displays the contents of the folder, Mandriva and Mageia insist on autocompleting with the first file available in the folder and displaying the folder contents on the first press of the tab, which is extremely frustrating.

Comment

Well bully for Mageia, I've submitted several bug reports and they have always been cordial and quick to fix them. I've always found Mageia easy to use and up to date. As for the maintainers, it's a community sponsored distribution and they do a heckuva job keeping the 14348 SRPMS up to date and working.

The things that don't work the last time I tried are: google-earth-pro and Mythtv Mythweb. The former is not supported by Mageia and the latter is being deprecated (it's broken because Mageia has gone to PHP 8.0)

I've been running cauldron for a while and am now glad to see 8.0 has emerged.

Good for you Mageia, kudos.

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post

It is a hostile position indeed, but it isn't that weird. I do blame all these scattered projects for making Linux such a weird place to be. When after 10 years, a distribution still gets released once in a while, without any reliable support and schedule (I don't even mention how this is bad security-wise) then you are wasting so much manpower just trying to reinvent the wheel over and over and over again..
            It's only bad security-wise if they would only release security updates through new images, but that isn't true: they release them timely through the update manager. In fach, Mageia 7 has had more security updates then Debian Stable, go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It's only bad security-wise if they would only release security updates through new images, but that isn't true: they release them timely through the update manager. In fach, Mageia 7 has had more security updates then Debian Stable, go figure.
              Really, I'm no Debian fanboy (I'm more on the Fedora/RHEL side), but I wouldn't compare Mageia to Debian. If anything, that's the reliability I was talking about that can't be guaranteed based on what even one of their main developers said: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...eb2x&context=3
              Last edited by GdeR; 27 February 2021, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I do blame all these scattered projects for making Linux such a weird place to be.
                So everyone should coalesce around [insert distro here(*)] and [insert DE here(*)] and be done with it?

(*) Of course that just ends up turning into a different discussion.

Comment

There is nothing to assume these people would be doing something more productive with their time otherwise. If Mageia is a terrible dumpster fire (I don't know personally), do you really want these folks working on your favorite distro as contributors?

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

You can learn a little about the current situation in the distribution from the entry of one of its contributors. https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...eb2x&context=3
                    Thanks for the link. It reads a little bit like FUD to me. If it wasn't anon I would probably be a little less doubtful of how bad they make the situation out to be. Until this person outs himself, it seems more like bloviating like other people here.

-Is there man power problems? Yes, EVERY distro outside of the big ones and commercial ones have man power problems. It's one of the pitfalls of Linux's distro type system.
                    -You always run into people protecting old code over new projects. That's not a sign of stalling.
                    - The guy doesn't like urpmi, and prefers DNF. Mageia has both, that's not a sign of stalling.
                    -Working off of svn is not a sign of stalling, some of us prefer SVN over git, like myself. Hell NetBSD uses cvs still, and they're rolling along well.
                    -The post itself says security updates are flowing. I haven't noticed any major cve's go unpatched.
                    -Having used a few distros in my time, the default KDE is practically the same as anywhere else. I'm not seeing how it's poor. XFCE's list order is a bit meh, but's tier 2 DE.
                    -I do agree networkmanager would be preferred over mcc's networking system.

So yeah, I believe most of this is FUD. Things would certainly be better with a lot of people working on the project. But as it is now, I don't see any problems with it, despite unwarranted hate for the distro.

Originally posted by piorunz View Post

Thank you. That's very useful insider information. So, looks like Mageia is dead in the water. That's it for me. Better stay with very secure and stable Debian. Can't find any better distro, and I've tried.
                    If they were dead in the water, there wouldn't be a new version released. Nor would they be rolling out patches for older versions.

Why not install it in a vm and make up your own mind?

Bleeding edge, constantly crashing packages and under developed distros doesn't interest me - Manjaro/KDE fucked up copy/pasting files, Dolphin would crash every time, I had to stay with it until they pushed fixed version from Arch two weeks later, as they don't do anything themselves, just follow Arch blindly, feeding on their success.
                    Copy/Paste functionality was done and complete like 30 years ago. I will leave messing around with git/bleeding edge versions to people who can afford to lose their workstation time to bugs like this.
                    Haven't had any problems like this in Mageia, and as long as you stay off cauldron you won't be using bleeding edge.

Comment

I've installed Mageia today from the Plasma live version. How easy the installation process is! Very straight and fast. Just two questions. And one modification I made in live where ported to the installed system. If I also consider that the package manager is good, and that the Mageia Control Center is a wonderful program to manage many things, there is no reason to suggest this distro to everyone. Many famous distros are overrated in my opinion.
                      I remember when Mandrake was the only Linux distro user oriented. No more another one like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X