X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    Literally no one said that at all, at least not on Phoronix. What everyone said would happen is exactly what is happening - a bunch of narrowly tailored free programs would be rolled out, trying to keep from losing the CentOS base of users.
    first, nobody on phoronix staid what is happening now(feel free to provide a link)
    second, yes, they don't want to support facebook for free. i personally don't care about facebook and i don't care about imbeciles who care about facebook, but i do care that now i can use rhel for free. which is strictly better than it was in the past

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Personally, I'm taking a hard look at FreeBSD as the replacement for all my CentOS servers
    keep us posted
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    If you fail to renew the subscription, or if Red Hat ever changes their mind in the future, you are stuck with a dead-end product that stops receiving updates.
    and then frreebsd will punish you and not accept you in?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by swagg_boi View Post
    CentOS never had the extra packages I miss on my workstation (but don't necessarily care about on a server)
    did you check https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL ?

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by mppix View Post
    I think I am going to stick with Debian stable for my servers
    it looks like average whiner never used centos in the first place

Leave a comment:

• MrCal
    replied
    Why are you guys not running OpenSUSE? In my view it have all what RHEL/CentOS have/had but additional a very appreciated newer stock kernel. I know RHEL do back-ports, but seems pretty limited, at least the features I've been investigating and looking for (kvm, qemu, storage).
    I ditched OpenSUSE myself a few years ago because of their website and wiki (a rather superficial reason, I know), but I gave them a second chance now after the RHEL stunt and been so happy about it, that I now run it on all my production servers.
    What's you reason not too....just curious? Is it just pure marketing?

Leave a comment:

• Teggs
    replied
    This continues to look like free-form damage control.

Originally posted by mattdm View Post
    ... and people were like "that's not gonna happen they're gonna never make RHEL available for free it's all a money grab", and now those things are being announced just like the FAQ said they would be.
    If they planned all of these things in advance, they screwed up badly by not laying it all on the table to begin with. Basically, either their reading of the situation was way off, or they knew people would have a bad reaction, and have a horrible failure in communication concerning the carrot that goes with the stick. They seem to have lost a lot of trust either way, and that is hard to restore.

To me, it appears they laid down the hard sell, and waited to see how much they would have to give back to avoid unacceptable damage. I wouldn't want to do business with people who think that way. If I did, I could be a happy idiot, and just use Windows.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Ooh, free handouts!

This is not quite what open-source is about.
    really? what opensource is about in your crazy imaginary world where every opensource project depends on patented or proprietary stuff? did you read announcement before posting your fantasies? open source gnome project is living on free handouts from redhat. now they will be accessible to other projects

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by scratchi View Post
    My whole Intranet is running on an open source stack
    this is irrelevant. is your whole intranet producing open source software? nobody cares what your intranet is leeching

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Seriously though, while I applaud the move I have to reckon that most current users who would use this are already on or planning on going to Rocky.
    you have vivid imagination

Leave a comment:

• Danielsan
    replied
    This is "AUTO EEE", and if people are still wondering what would be happened to RH after the IBM acquisition now you have your answer...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X