Red Hat Announces Free "RHEL For Open-Source Infrastructure"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Personally, I'm taking a hard look at FreeBSD as the replacement for all my CentOS servers
    keep us posted
    If you fail to renew the subscription, or if Red Hat ever changes their mind in the future, you are stuck with a dead-end product that stops receiving updates.
    and then frreebsd will punish you and not accept you in?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      Literally no one said that at all, at least not on Phoronix. What everyone said would happen is exactly what is happening - a bunch of narrowly tailored free programs would be rolled out, trying to keep from losing the CentOS base of users.
      first, nobody on phoronix staid what is happening now(feel free to provide a link)
      second, yes, they don't want to support facebook for free. i personally don't care about facebook and i don't care about imbeciles who care about facebook, but i do care that now i can use rhel for free. which is strictly better than it was in the past

Comment

The success of RHEL in the corporate environment was directly tied to the freedom of CentOS. Geeks were able install and use CentOS at home with no strings attached. This "in-home proof of concept" showed geeks how stable it was, and gave them the hands-on familiarity with the product that enabled them to confidently recommend RHEL to their bosses at work. It worked, and corporate IT environments rapidly drove Red Hat into $Billions of revenue.

How short-sighted the new IBM management must be, to have killed off the key to all this success. And how clueless they must be about the FOSS community to think that an annual subscription license is any kind of replacement for the FOSS independence that CentOS enjoyed. It's sad, really.

Here's hoping for tremendous success for Rocky Linux. Literally no one is going to use CentOS Stream as a replacement for CentOS.
        imbecile, you must have negative iq for not realizing that you are hoping that rocky linux will tremendously propel rhel's success in the corporate environment just as old centos did(which is the old centos under different name ffs)

Comment

The success of RHEL in the corporate environment was directly tied to the freedom of CentOS. Geeks were able install and use CentOS at home with no strings attached. This "in-home proof of concept" showed geeks how stable it was, and gave them the hands-on familiarity with the product that enabled them to confidently recommend RHEL to their bosses at work. It worked, and corporate IT environments rapidly drove Red Hat into $Billions of revenue.

How short-sighted the new IBM management must be, to have killed off the key to all this success. And how clueless they must be about the FOSS community to think that an annual subscription license is any kind of replacement for the FOSS independence that CentOS enjoyed. It's sad, really.

Here's hoping for tremendous success for Rocky Linux. Literally no one is going to use CentOS Stream as a replacement for CentOS.
          I agree on the geeks getting familiar angle. It saved a lot of time knowing one didn't have to license to get familiar with it.

On the other hand, how many guys were going and getting RHEL certified and then turning around and deploying CentOS at the companies they supported?

What was the market share of CentOS Server in clouds? Was it growing? Was it pricing cheaper than RHEL was in the same cloud provider?

What was RHEL getting out of their R&D into improving Linux for enterprise customers that was being spun out into CentOS?

Were commercial startups avoiding RHEL all together and setting up Open Stack on CentOS and avoiding support agreements?

Or in the effort and cost to get RHEL more laptop savvy couldn't be recovered if it was free via CentOS/Fedora?

Comment

So Redhat shoots its self in the foot by killing CentOS.. for some or all of the above reasons, not really wanting to support free users...

but at the end of the day, all they achieved, is to drag their name in the mud and for 3 different CentOS alternatives to grow outside of Redhat...

then Redhat tried to get some users back with their 16-server RHEL free license and now free servers for open source projects... what a mess... how did they manage to make things so bad for them???

In all honesty, our 102 companies across Europe will not be using Redhat products due to all of the above. Was that their goal?

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
              how did they manage to make things so bad for them???
              Basically IBM.

I think this exact scenario was even predicted word for word in a thread back when the news was released. IBM is likely putting pressure on Red Hat to do weird stuff like this. They just can't get their stuff together.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              but i do care that now i can use rhel for free. which is strictly better than it was in the past
              You are basically using an unspecified time limited demo. Completely unsuitable for any long-term project commitment.

If you want to consume this kind of "free". Just go here and download an iso of Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...d/windows10ISO

Enjoy!
              Last edited by kpedersen; 25 February 2021, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                You are basically using an unspecified time limited demo. Completely unsuitable for any long-term project commitment.
                surely it's much more useful than rocky linux or freebsd
                if it's good for gnome project, it's good for me. no matter how loudly debian stable users cry
                Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                If you want to consume this kind of "free". Just go here and download an iso of Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...d/windows10ISO

Enjoy!
                i'll enoy when you share link to its source code(this is what opensource is about btw, rather than your crazy imaginary world)

Comment

it looks like average whiner never used centos in the first place
                  Actually, I did but started to switch to Debian with the Buster release. At the time, there was no particular reason other than interest in something different.
                  Can't say I am unhappy about it :P

Comment

surely it's much more useful than rocky linux or freebsd
                    No. Not really. Both of those projects don't intend to drip feed handouts to users.

i'll enoy when you share link to its source code(this is what opensource is about btw, rather than your crazy imaginary world)
                    And you can for RHEL?

Last time I checked, not only compiled binaries, but also source rpms are behind a paid / subscription wall. You may not know this, but Microsoft licenses their source code out to Universities and others signing NDAs. RHEL is open-source but I imagine many people actually have easier access to the Win10 codebase.

So I will await your link. I don't think you will be able to provide one.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      Literally no one said that at all, at least not on Phoronix. What everyone said would happen is exactly what is happening - a bunch of narrowly tailored free programs would be rolled out, trying to keep from losing the CentOS base of users.
                      From today's announcement I would fine tune that to "if you are making FOSS that we can repackage and make money off of we will toss you a couple of licenses. Other wise shove off". And that is fair enough Redhat doesn't owe me any thing. Just as I don't have to promote and keep pushing their stuff. It's a freeish world.

Comment

Working...
                      X