Red Hat Announces Free "RHEL For Open-Source Infrastructure"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mroche View Post

https://git.centos.org isn't going anywhere. And although the CentOS team themselves won't be building the "end result" RPMS and delivering them to folks because they'll be focused on Stream, that doesn't mean someone else can't. And having spoken to members of the CentOS project (actual contributors/board members), there is a lot of internal red tape at Red Hat that would need to be cut through for them to stop also marking/tagging the standard version number releases (i.e. the standard c7/c8 and upcoming c9 branches in git). So projects like Alma, Rocky, and OEL won't be going anywhere, there just won't be an officially unofficial directly supplied rebuild by those within Red Hat. That being said, let's see what happens circa May/RH Summit when CentOS Stream 9 comes out. I'm pretty sure the change to GitLab from Pagure is happening around then, though it may come later.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Hi Mike,
    Are you suggesting that there may be a binary compatible CentOS version with proper support?
    That would be awesome.
    Thanks

Comment

mppix All I am saying is that although the CentOS project will not be doing the "downstream" RHEL rebuilds, Red Hat is not going to be trying to interfere with other projects that wish to do so. This is stated in their FAQs, and what I have been personally told by members of the project in discussions about it.

As an elaboration, if you look at the kernel in git (https://git.centos.org/rpms/kernel/branches) you'll see the c8 (CentOS 8) and c8s (CentOS Stream 8) branches. Presently the CentOS team packages both for distribution to consumers, however at the end of this year the project will cease to package the c8 RPMs. However, the code commits for c8 will still be ongoing, so external rebuild projects can continue to rebuilt RHEL, it's part of their release architecture. I've been told the same will be the case for RHEL 9 as well, they will still be supplying the standard c9 branch, just not building the RPMs.

Granted, they won't offer explicit aid to those that wish to do so, obviously, but they will still be publishing the code in the necessary branches and the tools to retrieve it.

Cheers,
      Mike

Comment

Working...
      X