Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Ubuntu 21.04 Benchmarks Point To Some Slides In Performances But Overall Flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Ubuntu 21.04 Benchmarks Point To Some Slides In Performances But Overall Flat

Phoronix: Early Ubuntu 21.04 Benchmarks Point To Some Slides In Performances But Overall Flat

In yesterday's Linux distribution benchmark comparison on a Ryzen 9 5900X, you may have noticed some of the Ubuntu 21.04 development benchmarks coming in slower than Ubuntu 20.10 but overall a tight race. That is something I've seen now on other systems too -- such as these results to pass along today from an Intel notebook with the latest Ubuntu 20.10 vs. 21.04 development tests...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ev-ZBook-Tests

Could we get an odriod h2plus and also see what the performance impact is for 21.04 ?
    And then, get the quad 2.5 Gbe port add on and do a filesystem samba / nfs serving performance test ?

Comment

With all the kernel, package upgrades and compiler optimizations, this is quite disappointing!
      Hopefully they can improve something in the remaining time.

Comment

I wish there was an automated tool that pointed out which link in the chain has performance degredation. Kernel, gnu utils, userland OS, or whatnot. I guess it would have to be simulated in a vm to have full visibility into every process. In any case, it's good to know there is a problem in the first place.

Comment

maybe they will use llinux 5.11 and some things are ywt to merge and then the optimizations

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
            I wish there was an automated tool that pointed out which link in the chain has performance degredation. Kernel, gnu utils, userland OS, or whatnot. I guess it would have to be simulated in a vm to have full visibility into every process. In any case, it's good to know there is a problem in the first place.
            There is. It's called the Phoronix Test Suite and you configure a system to run a barrage of benchmarks every change. If that is too difficult then the author of the PTS offers commercial benchmarking services.

Comment

Maybe thermal issue? or other issues more AVX used results in stronger CPU clockdown? If I rememeber correctly there have been some scenarios on CPU's where this was the case.

These day's Laptop CPU's are operated too close to their thermal threshold.
              Last edited by CochainComplex; 25 February 2021, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X