"Fedora Kinoite" Coming For Fedora 35 As An immutable KDE Desktop Spin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Fedora Kinoite" Coming For Fedora 35 As An immutable KDE Desktop Spin

Phoronix: "Fedora Kinoite" Coming For Fedora 35 As An immutable KDE Desktop Spin

The Fedora Engineering and Steering Committee (FESCo) has approved plans for "Fedora Kinoite" as the newest spin to debut this autumn alongside Fedora 35...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Like they say, Linux projects always have the best names.

Comment

If they get this right, this could be a perfect official KDE Distro.

Comment

Lol why you upset with gnome devs

Comment

"Fedora Fedora Kinoite will make use of RPM-OSTree"
          is the double fedora intentional

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
            Lol why you upset with gnome devs
            Sorry I just had a moment.
            I'd like to mention a similar initiative (as in "immutable" OS) by OpenSUSE called MicroOS. I don't think it's as refined as Silverblue yet.

Comment

Yes!!!

Comment

Awesome! The creator of this also has other unofficial spins for XFCE and other DEs. I haven’t had time to play with this since I first found it a few months ago, but I definitely will once it is official. Last I played with SilverBlue, it still needed some polish around integration with apps installed inside a toolbox container (e.g. auto creating desktop links etc). And toolbox has to be 100% solid with no upgrade breakages to really be viable in a more mainstream way. It still breaks too often due to podman changes, and sometimes these make it out in stable updates.

Comment

Can somebody here enlighten me what they mean with the word "immutable"? I.e. once you installed it you cannot change it anymore? or: You cannot change the looks of it?

Comment

I agree even Silverblue webpage is not helpful in describing in layman's terms what the project actually is about. Just refers to rpm-ostree as if it was some industry standard keyword.
                    Last edited by reavertm; 18 February 2021, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X