Devuan 3.1 Released - Debian Fork Now Offers Runit Plus Sysvinit, OpenRC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devuan 3.1 Released - Debian Fork Now Offers Runit Plus Sysvinit, OpenRC

Phoronix: Devuan 3.1 Released - Debian Fork Now Offers Runit Plus Sysvinit, OpenRC

It's already been six years since the initial pre-alpha release of Devuan, the fork of Debian that aims to provide Debian without systemd and focus on init system independence. For marking the Valentine's Day occasion, developers released Devuan 3.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds great. What's next on the plate? 32-bit kernel, MBR partition layout, and x87 maths by default?

Comment

Nope, the next is s6-linux-init a modern, light and innovative init system.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
        And as usual devuan will have that just acouple of month after debian has shipped that.

It just takes that long to switch out the theming packages. All the other packages are getting redirected straight to debian mirrors anyway.

Comment

but we already have all that in debian, so whats the news here. a clickbait story to attract systemd haters?

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
            I've tried s6 on Artix, and it seems to work OK, but... does it have any advantages over OpenRC or runit?

Comment

What about init-freedom? There is no systemd in Devuan?

Comment

Goodness! 6 years?? Where did the time go? I thought this was started only two years ago max

Comment

Debian is a disgrace and should be renamed to Systemdian or whatever they want to and Devuan renamed back to Debian this goes for all their domains and everything.
                  Ian murdock is long rotting in grave, he obviously put his distro in the hands of brainless idiots who did not know what they are doing.

rm -rf debian
                  mv devuan debian
                  chattr +i debian

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post

I've tried s6 on Artix, and it seems to work OK, but... does it have any advantages over OpenRC or runit?
                    You can read the creator's opinion here: https://www.skarnet.org/software/s6/why.html

Comment

Working...
                    X