No announcement yet.

EndeavourOS Issues First 2021 Release For Easy-To-Use Arch-Based Linux Distro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EndeavourOS Issues First 2021 Release For Easy-To-Use Arch-Based Linux Distro

Phoronix: EndeavourOS Issues First 2021 Release For Easy-To-Use Arch-Based Linux Distro

For those that have been meaning to try out an Arch Linux based distribution that is easy-to-use and not time consuming with sensible defaults, EndeavourOS is out with its first new spin since 2021 -- and in fact their first fresh ISO release since September...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really don't get why this thing is supposed to be relevant.

Comment

Shiba probably because installing arch is such pain. i know they have a nice wiki but sometimes some steps are missing or have to follow a few more links to do a fresh install.
      i wonder if its just pure arch or they have some package manager like manjaro with their own repositories

edit: with manjaro for some reason i always lost one hdd (like power was cut off). i dont know why. with arch or linuxmint it never happen

Comment

In my opinion if you find it a pain to install Arch, you shouldn't use Arch. Installer or not, It's not a Next -> Next -> Install distro and you'll pay the consequences of not knowing what is going on under the hood when you'll skip some required manual intervention during an upgrade.

Comment

If you can install Arch once or twice, why should you do it let's say 50 times again including making errors? It is not clever to do a repetitive task again and again. So automating something boring is only natural and one oft the reasons why we use a computer in the first place. Though I must say I don't like most of the installers.

Comment

I prefer Garuda over vanilla Arch or EndeavourOS because it includes performance optimizations and the Linux TKG performance-enhanced kernel out-of-the-box. It also includes a few nice GUI tools similar to Manjaro, but rides on the standard Archlinux repositories instead of holding back packages and has automatic created restore points if something breaks.
            Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 06 February 2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              If you can install Arch once or twice, why should you do it let's say 50 times again including making errors?
              Generally it can be scripted. All those commands you made note of whilst researching how to install it in the first place can pretty much be dumped into a script.

This is also coming from someone who does also agree that Arch should probably have an installer. Not for ease of use, but for consistency. Surely it will help the Arch developers if their users have similar setups and can report more reproducible bugs?

Not a stupid installer mind, but a simple one like OpenBSD where you can pretty much just hammer the return key until it is complete. Basically a script, less than 1mb.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                This is also coming from someone who does also agree that Arch should probably have an installer. Not for ease of use, but for consistency. Surely it will help the Arch developers if their users have similar setups and can report more reproducible bugs?
                It used to! I remember several years ago the official install media had a curses-based installer, there was another one, also curses-based but more detailed, in the unofficial Archboot, but for some reason they were discontinued.

Although, I just entered the Archboot wiki page and there seems to have been a new release in July last year. I haven't checked it, but it could be worth a try for those willing to install Arch:

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Generally it can be scripted. All those commands you made note of whilst researching how to install it in the first place can pretty much be dumped into a script.

Not a stupid installer mind, but a simple one like OpenBSD where you can pretty much just hammer the return key until it is complete. Basically a script, less than 1mb.
                  not everyone have an unlimited internet plan and other distro don't have access to AUR

Comment

to be honest I went arch iso with manjaro architect Installation

is that too much to ask for

Comment

Working...
                    X