Ubuntu Core + Mir Is Powering Smart Exercise Mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post

Ubuntu Touch isn't related to Canonical anymore. It is developed by UBPorts, a non-profit foundation hosted in Germany.
    About the PinePhone remark here, UBPorts expected developers to be excited by Ubuntu Touch and join the effort to improve it. That expectation can be understood: UT is the most polished GNU/Linux smartphone OS, and the first batch of PinePhones was released with UT as the default OS. However, unlike PostmarketOS and other OSes, Ubuntu Touch is also working on Android phones thanks to Halium. It makes things more difficult when you want to contribute on UT, because having your patch working on Pinephone isn't enough, it also has to work on Android based ports, and that often represents more work. UBPorts devs think this is the reason why people are more contributing to other OSes than UT.
    mariogrip & ubports

This is likely not the main reason at all.

The trouble is that lomiri's source code is all over the place and there isn't a lot of documentation for those looking to get started. On top of that, a year after the launch of the ubports pinephone, there's still issues with calling and text messages (Unlike most other distributions at this point which have ironed out most of the problems with those things), and it still isn't using a 60 HZ kernel by default... Compound that with the fact that there's a couple of games and apps that simply wont run on the Pinephone because they were meant for use on the android devices (Normal linux apps must also run in Libertine), and i think that's at least 90% of the reason people aren't joining on to help develop ubuntu touch and mir. People would just much rather use a more up to date and a much more average Linux mobile distro which doesn't require the use of containers to install applications and has much newer packages, as well as the fact that they are starting to work better and more reliably than UBT.
    Last edited by Baguy; 04 February 2021, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
      A HUD in a mirror so you don't have to stop checking out how great you look while you get your intelligence on the world around you. Maybe it's just me but I find the level of narcissism required more than a little disturbing. Next is maybe a couple of fawning AI sycophants to positivize you all day. "Hey Alexa, who's the fairest of them all?"
      Originally posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
      Mirror Mirror on the wall; who is the greatest nerd of all.
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Magic mirror on the wall, who's the fairest one of all?
      Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      I thought we had that already? At least Mazda already shows information like your current speed and navigation on your windscreen.
      Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
      Damn...if I have one of those mirrors, I will never be the smartest person in the room.
      I came for comments lampooning this with Snow White analogies. I was not disappointed. Top work, folks.

No way would I ever allow a smart anything with a camera and connected to the internet into a bathroom... but then, I don't understand the appeal of Instagram, Facebook, TikTok or OnlyFans, either...

Comment

Can someone even explain the possible use (if any, at all) for a computerized mirror in the toilet?

Or rather, is there even any use for a computerized mirror? To catch weather and/or social media updates while brushing teeth / putting on makeup / shaving /taking a crap?

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

I came for comments lampooning this with Snow White analogies. I was not disappointed. Top work, folks.

No way would I ever allow a smart anything with a camera and connected to the internet into a bathroom... but then, I don't understand the appeal of Instagram, Facebook, TikTok or OnlyFans, either...
          I have three daughters...you are absolutely correct. I would hate to have to trace someone's IP and hunt them down and - well if you are a father of daughters, you already know what would happen next.
          GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post
            mariogrip & ubports

This is likely not the main reason at all.

The trouble is that lomiri's source code is all over the place and there isn't a lot of documentation for those looking to get started. On top of that, a year after the launch of the ubports pinephone, there's still issues with calling and text messages (Unlike most other distributions at this point which have ironed out most of the problems with those things), and it still isn't using a 60 HZ kernel by default... Compound that with the fact that there's a couple of games and apps that simply wont run on the Pinephone because they were meant for use on the android devices (Normal linux apps must also run in Libertine), and i think that's at least 90% of the reason people aren't joining on to help develop ubuntu touch and mir. People would just much rather use a more up to date and a much more average Linux mobile distro which doesn't require the use of containers to install applications and has much newer packages, as well as the fact that they are starting to work better and more reliably than UBT.
            Interesting, thank you for sharing your thoughts. The fact to have to use Libertine to run plain GNU/Linux app can be a point indeed. It is true that UT is further from a desktop distribution than postmarket or other OSes. And it has its own "click" package format instead of flatpack, snap or plain deb. But the UI/UX make it the most usable GNU/Linux OS on phones at the moment for sure. I'm using it daily on a Fairphone 2 for 2 years now and I love it.
            About the kernel remark, there is another build available in the settings called "newkernel" or "kernelupgrade" I don't remember. I thing it upgrade it from 5.6 to 5.9. Not sure if it changes the frequency however. Basically, progress is slow, but it will come.

Comment

Why did you include me in your quote? I didn't say anything about Snow White. Unless I missed something and Mazda started sponsoring the Snow White movies.
              My comment was a serious question.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Why did you include me in your quote? I didn't say anything about Snow White. Unless I missed something and Mazda started sponsoring the Snow White movies.
                My comment was a serious question.
                Because I meant to comment on that one separately, but somehow I buried it in the rest. Sorry for the confusion.

The comment which was supposed to be in reply to what I quoted from you should have been: I remember seeing car HUDs in Knightrider 2000 (the straight to TV movie) and thinking they would help save lives.

Comment

Because I meant to comment on that one separately, but somehow I buried it in the rest. Sorry for the confusion.

The comment which was supposed to be in reply to what I quoted from you should have been: I remember seeing car HUDs in Knightrider 2000 (the straight to TV movie) and thinking they would help save lives.
                  A Trans Am and David Hasselhoff....long live The Hoff!
                  GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Working...
                  X