Ubuntu Core + Mir Is Powering Smart Exercise Mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bregma View Post
    A HUD in a mirror so you don't have to stop checking out how great you look while you get your intelligence on the world around you. Maybe it's just me but I find the level of narcissism required more than a little disturbing. Next is maybe a couple of fawning AI sycophants to positivize you all day. "Hey Alexa, who's the fairest of them all?"
    I was about to say something similar.
    When you look at a female teenager/young adult these days (also males to a lesser extent), it's all about egocentric pictures and arrangement/staging of herself and getting the most suscribers and views on Instagram/TikTok and such. As if this nauseating self-centered trend wasn't enough, you're going to need a mirror now when exercising? Do you really need to contemplate yourself while working out? Maybe a tiny bit to correct a position but this might be going too far. Or maybe I didn't understand the use case well (?).

Anyway, beside this specific weird use case, it seems pretty nice (with other uses in mind). I guess it could power some information into a windscreen or stuff like that. Or if you keep the mirror example but remove the exercising equation, it could simply display the weather (or similarly useful) information in your bathroom, available at a glance.

Comment

Mirror Mirror on the wall; who is the greatest nerd of all.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

And because of you et al. I can play Dx games in the Mirror
        Magic mirror on the wall, who's the fairest one of all?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Magic mirror on the wall, who's the fairest one of all?
          Now finally the Cyberpunk 2077 "look into the Mirror" feature makes finally sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
            I was about to say something similar.
            When you look at a female teenager/young adult these days (also males to a lesser extent), it's all about egocentric pictures and arrangement/staging of herself and getting the most suscribers and views on Instagram/TikTok and such. As if this nauseating self-centered trend wasn't enough, you're going to need a mirror now when exercising? Do you really need to contemplate yourself while working out? Maybe a tiny bit to correct a position but this might be going too far. Or maybe I didn't understand the use case well (?).

Anyway, beside this specific weird use case, it seems pretty nice (with other uses in mind). I guess it could power some information into a windscreen or stuff like that. Or if you keep the mirror example but remove the exercising equation, it could simply display the weather (or similarly useful) information in your bathroom, available at a glance.
            The only usecase for it would be "augmented" help to do the movements correctly. Sometimes you have to use the mirror to have the right position and angles of your limbs otherwise you will harm ourself on the long run with non ergonomic movements.*

*...havent been in the gym since a decade. But I remember some workouts where it was necessary or at least recommended by trainers.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
              A HUD in a mirror so you don't have to stop checking out how great you look while you get your intelligence on the world around you. Maybe it's just me but I find the level of narcissism required more than a little disturbing.

It's just you - and probably a few others that don't understand why many places have wall-to-wall mirrors, so I'll help you out. In the vast majority of cases, mirrors have nothing to do with narcissism. Mirrors are essential for many types of exercise. You will often find wall-to-wall mirrors wherever people practice any kind of dance, martial art, weightlifting, yoga, or any other exercise where proper form is important. You'll also find them in music practice rooms, because form and posture is very important in singing or playing most instruments. I'm not sure when dance studios started having mirrors on every wall, but I've never seen one that that didn't, and I'm 50. I suspect that the vast majority of people looking into full-length mirrors for an extended amount of time are doing it for very good reasons that have nothing to do with how they look to other people. You'll get no argument from me that there are plenty of garbage people in the world that are obsessed with their appearance, and spend far too much time preening and looking at themselves - it's a cultural cancer. But so is deriding "people who do X", where X is something that you personally don't do.

Personally, I'd love one of these. I can think of half a dozen ways I could put this to good use. None of those are appearance related.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                Anyway, beside this specific weird use case, it seems pretty nice (with other uses in mind). I guess it could power some information into a windscreen or stuff like that.
                I thought we had that already? At least Mazda already shows information like your current speed and navigation on your windscreen.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post

Ubports is toxic. I'm not surprised nobody wants to contribute.
                  I'm really sad to hear that this is your view of us, can you please tell me what has been toxic? I'm currently not aware of any toxicity going on, so i'm sad and surprised to see this. I founded UBports with a strict code of conduct, so i really want to know more about this so we can get better and correct this. If you want you can pm me and we can figure it out. I'm really sorry this is the view you have seen from us, and i promise you that I do all in my power to correct this.

Comment

Originally posted by mariogrip View Post

I'm really sad to hear that this is your view of us, can you please tell me what has been toxic? I'm currently not aware of any toxicity going on, so i'm sad and surprised to see this. I founded UBports with a strict code of conduct, so i really want to know more about this so we can get better and correct this. If you want you can pm me and we can figure it out. I'm really sorry this is the view you have seen from us, and i promise you that I do all in my power to correct this.
                    Probably some Ubuntu aversion. He saw Ubuntu and Mir and went berserk.

Nice work on setting up a Unity 8/Lomiri repo on Manjaro by the way!

Comment

Damn...if I have one of those mirrors, I will never be the smartest person in the room.
                      GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Working...
                      X