Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Core + Mir Is Powering Smart Exercise Mirrors

Phoronix: Ubuntu Core + Mir Is Powering Smart Exercise Mirrors

For those wondering where Ubuntu's Mir is being used in current form with their continued development of it these days as a Wayland compositor, it turns out it is being used within smart exercise mirrors as at least one implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

2021 - Year of the Linux Bathroom!

Comment

This latest Q/A also noted that PinePhone efforts didn't turn out many new developers but rather developers seem mostly focused on other distributions
      Interesting. So people have stopped wanting to work with Canonical?

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post

Interesting. So people have stopped wanting to work with Canonical?
        Ubuntu Touch isn't related to Canonical anymore. It is developed by UBPorts, a non-profit foundation hosted in Germany.
        About the PinePhone remark here, UBPorts expected developers to be excited by Ubuntu Touch and join the effort to improve it. That expectation can be understood: UT is the most polished GNU/Linux smartphone OS, and the first batch of PinePhones was released with UT as the default OS. However, unlike PostmarketOS and other OSes, Ubuntu Touch is also working on Android phones thanks to Halium. It makes things more difficult when you want to contribute on UT, because having your patch working on Pinephone isn't enough, it also has to work on Android based ports, and that often represents more work. UBPorts devs think this is the reason why people are more contributing to other OSes than UT.

Comment

But when is Ubuntu Core coming to RISC-V?

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post
            It makes things more difficult when you want to contribute on UT, because having your patch working on Pinephone isn't enough, it also has to work on Android based ports, and that often represents more work. UBPorts devs think this is the reason why people are more contributing to other OSes than UT.
            That's a very good point. Thank you for the clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post

Ubuntu Touch isn't related to Canonical anymore. It is developed by UBPorts, a non-profit foundation hosted in Germany.
              About the PinePhone remark here, UBPorts expected developers to be excited by Ubuntu Touch and join the effort to improve it. That expectation can be understood: UT is the most polished GNU/Linux smartphone OS, and the first batch of PinePhones was released with UT as the default OS. However, unlike PostmarketOS and other OSes, Ubuntu Touch is also working on Android phones thanks to Halium. It makes things more difficult when you want to contribute on UT, because having your patch working on Pinephone isn't enough, it also has to work on Android based ports, and that often represents more work. UBPorts devs think this is the reason why people are more contributing to other OSes than UT.
              Ubports is toxic. I'm not surprised nobody wants to contribute.

Comment

A HUD in a mirror so you don't have to stop checking out how great you look while you get your intelligence on the world around you. Maybe it's just me but I find the level of narcissism required more than a little disturbing. Next is maybe a couple of fawning AI sycophants to positivize you all day. "Hey Alexa, who's the fairest of them all?"

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post
                  2021 - Year of the Linux Bathroom!
                  And because of you et al. I can play Dx games in the Mirror

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaAshton View Post
                    Ubports is toxic. I'm not surprised nobody wants to contribute.
                    Can you please elaborate? The OS and the community look nice to me, I'm surprised to read this.

Comment

Working...
                    X