Ubuntu 21.04 To Stick With GNOME 3.38 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    The real question here is why Canonical has to sit back and wait for "Gnome devs" and see whatever materializes out of this. Controversial or not, Canonical and the Ubuntu distro are major players in the Linux world. There should be heavy collaboration between the two.
    Because Canonical decided that they need a lot of downstream patches and modifications to the shell and modifications to standard gnome userland apps. If they would ship upstream like fedora, they would not have this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Because Canonical decided that they need a lot of downstream patches and modifications to the shell and modifications to standard gnome userland apps. If they would ship upstream like fedora, they would not have this issue.
      That's the point. Canonical is pretty much the primary consumer of the Gnome project. They should have a word in all these being bult-in by default. And not even now, but already in pre-alpha stages. Is Gnome open source or just readable source like those showcase MS projects?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

That's the point. Canonical is pretty much the primary consumer of the Gnome project. They should have a word in all these being bult-in by default. And not even now, but already in pre-alpha stages. Is Gnome open source or just readable source like those showcase MS projects?
        I wouldn't go as far as to say that "they should have a word in it", but I think the stakeholders of the Gnome project would strongly benefit to at the very least listen attentively to what they say, given their proven and successful track record of focusing toward end users.
        And that, well, it doesn't happen much (hence Unity at the time).

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          I wouldn't go as far as to say that "they should have a word in it", but I think the stakeholders of the Gnome project would strongly benefit to at the very least listen attentively to what they say, given their proven and successful track record of focusing toward end users.
          And that, well, it doesn't happen much (hence Unity at the time).
          I think it's such a basic thing. Why a car manufacturer and a tire manufacturer can agree on how a wheel should operate... Imagine cars coming with a random wheel diameter, and tires too, and you, the end user just hope it works out eventually. I always hated Unity, as an interface, but for these reasons, I just hope it comes back, officialy, or something like it. Politics only hurt the end users, even if they make fine tabloid article titles and a lot of comments.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
            GNOME is meritocracy. Ubntu got the power they ask for.
            😂

You're such a funny one.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

i dont see much movement about it on Planet Gnome + IMO it would be better to hold off on the release till Fedora35 anyway, all the apps that Gnome40 will have will have to catch up, i dont think the apps will be ready in time
              We are talking about Fedora, bleeding edge distribution. If Fedora 33 was able to get GNOME 3.38 released month before then I why it would be problem for Fedora 34 to pickup GNOME 40? Why apps wouldn't be ready? If you are talking about GTK4 then it doesn't change situation. GTK4 is already available on Fedora 33 and GTK3 applications will still work fine and eventually will be ported to GTK4 in future.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

We are talking about Fedora, bleeding edge distribution. If Fedora 33 was able to get GNOME 3.38 released month before then I why it would be problem for Fedora 34 to pickup GNOME 40? Why apps wouldn't be ready? If you are talking about GTK4 then it doesn't change situation. GTK4 is already available on Fedora 33 and GTK3 applications will still work fine and eventually will be ported to GTK4 in future.
                Fedora aint really a " Bleeding Edge distro " no more IMO. i just cant see Gnome40 being ready in time for its release in F34, gnome-control-center is still 3.38.x just go an have a look how many gnome core stuff is still at 3.38.x ,

Comment

Fedora aint really a " Bleeding Edge distro " no more IMO. i just cant see Gnome40 being ready in time for its release in F34, gnome-control-center is still 3.38.x just go an have a look how many gnome core stuff is still at 3.38.x ,
                  Yeah, Fedora is not alpha quality distro but it's definitely a distro with new packages every release. GNOME 3.38 was released month before Fedora 33 and was still included. GNOME 40 release date is again somewhere around month before planned Fedora 34 release. Unless GNOME 40 will get some delay (not very often situation) then it should be included. Fedora freezes pretty late in development. I think Rawhide already includes some bits of GNOME 40. Ubuntu is different story - they have their extensions and they wanted more time to make sure everything works with GNOME 40 which will be pretty different compared to 3.38. Fedora uses vanilla GNOME so broken extensions won't be any problem for developers.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Yeah, Fedora is not alpha quality distro but it's definitely a distro with new packages every release. GNOME 3.38 was released month before Fedora 33 and was still included. GNOME 40 release date is again somewhere around month before planned Fedora 34 release. Unless GNOME 40 will get some delay (not very often situation) then it should be included. Fedora freezes pretty late in development. I think Rawhide already includes some bits of GNOME 40. Ubuntu is different story - they have their extensions and they wanted more time to make sure everything works with GNOME 40 which will be pretty different compared to 3.38. Fedora uses vanilla GNOME so broken extensions won't be any problem for developers.
                    Users will just go elsewhere if there loved Extensions dont work. an afaik Fedora has been losing Users like Firefox once had. , it'll get a bad press release if Fedora release a broken down Gnome release.

Comment

Users will just go elsewhere if there loved Extensions dont work. an afaik Fedora has been losing Users like Firefox once had. , it'll get a bad press release if Fedora release a broken down Gnome release.
                      They never cared about this, why do you think they will start care about this now?

Also it's not like there is any force to upgrade Fedora right after new release. There are two maintained version - current (now 33) and previous (now 32). If your extensions are broken with new GNOME version then you can simply wait for them to pickup support for new version and then upgrade. It's not only Fedora problem, it's problem of all distributions that uses vanilla GNOME. Ubuntu is different story because they don't use vanilla.

Comment

Working...
                      X