Ubuntu 21.04 To Stick With GNOME 3.38 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Sounds very boring, sounds like it will be the most boring Ubuntu version ever.
    I'm considering switching to Debian for my KDE desktop because Ubuntu is getting too "exciting" with things like pushing Chromium as a snap.

Comment

The real question here is why Canonical has to sit back and wait for "Gnome devs" and see whatever materializes out of this. Controversial or not, Canonical and the Ubuntu distro are major players in the Linux world. There should be heavy collaboration between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        The real question here is why Canonical has to sit back and wait for "Gnome devs" and see whatever materializes out of this. Controversial or not, Canonical and the Ubuntu distro are major players in the Linux world. There should be heavy collaboration between the two.
        It feels like Canonical gave up on the Linux desktop and is now more focusing on Ubuntu Server, Snap, Kubernetes, MicroK8s, WSL, and Azure.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          cause Ubuntu does a lot of work with Gnome yanno like Gnome-Software

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Sounds very boring, sounds like it will be the most boring Ubuntu version ever.
            In their case, what you call boring I would name it maturity.

Maturity which brought them to being close to break even, after years of ahead-of-the-game experimentations leading to financial insecurity.
            Pro customers want stability. And in the end they're the ones inflating that turnover figure.

I'm sure they'll come back to developing their own vision and creating their own path with more firepower than ever once they've grown enough.

In other words, a bit of stand-by boring to lay the ground for the fancy and exciting stuff later on.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
              im not convinced Gnome 40 will be released untill Fedora35
              Why not? GNOME 40 will be released before Fedora 34.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Why not? GNOME 40 will be released before Fedora 34.
                i dont see much movement about it on Planet Gnome + IMO it would be better to hold off on the release till Fedora35 anyway, all the apps that Gnome40 will have will have to catch up, i dont think the apps will be ready in time

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

i dont see much movement about it on Planet Gnome + IMO it would be better to hold off on the release till Fedora35 anyway, all the apps that Gnome40 will have will have to catch up, i dont think the apps will be ready in time
                  Too late for that. GNOME 40 already landed on Rawhide soon to branch off Fedora 34. GTK3 will co-exist to allow smoother transition for applications.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Too late for that. GNOME 40 already landed on Rawhide soon to branch off Fedora 34. GTK3 will co-exist to allow smoother transition for applications.
                    only the Gnome-Shell has landed an Mutter. there needs more than just those 2 or 3 to land the whole thing

Comment

Ubuntu are chilling for this .4 release but will drop Wayland as default DE in the .10 :'D

Comment

Working...
                      X