Red Hat Announces No-Cost RHEL For Small Production Environments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mppix View Post
    Out of interest, what workload runs on RHEL but not on say Debian stable or Ubuntu LTS?
    In my experience, the support gap between RHEL and Debian/Ubuntu have closed to the point where I cannot think of anything. Of course, transition may not be trivial..
    Motherboard RAID (on the occasions I've experimented with it) won't report disk sizes - and consequently mdadm arrays - correctly for me using Debian-based distros. A 36TB RAID5 array is seen as 7.something TB on Ubuntu or vanilla Debian. On Arch, Gentoo or Redhat distros everything works fine. I've never been able to work out why. Using a proper controller card it's fine, too, which makes me think it's Debian somehow misunderstanding how the motherboard exposes the fake RAID to the OS. If the drives aren't in motherboard RAID, all sizes are reported correctly.

But in terms of programs themselves? Nothing I can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
      As soon as I read the headline, the words "panic mode engaged, damage control enabled" ran through my head.

Because that's exactly what this is: an attempt at damage control. How successful it is has yet to be seen.
      The poor communication from them is real however what you are saying isn't correct. Red Hat did say that they are planning to make some changes for the developer subscription to meet some CentOS user needs when they announced CentOS stream. What you are seeing now is what they had planned earlier. They just didn't time it very well at all.

Comment

Motherboard RAID (on the occasions I've experimented with it) won't report disk sizes - and consequently mdadm arrays - correctly for me using Debian-based distros. A 36TB RAID5 array is seen as 7.something TB on Ubuntu or vanilla Debian. On Arch, Gentoo or Redhat distros everything works fine. I've never been able to work out why. Using a proper controller card it's fine, too, which makes me think it's Debian somehow misunderstanding how the motherboard exposes the fake RAID to the OS. If the drives aren't in motherboard RAID, all sizes are reported correctly.

But in terms of programs themselves? Nothing I can think of.
        Thanks - I actually did not know that some distributions support "fake" RAID. Yes, Debian discourages this. However, I have had good experience with mdadm/software RAID

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
          other distro have more users but they are mostly noobs, they don't provide any value to the distribution (bug report, fixes, documentation, packages).
          Fedora has an high rate of very skilled user that contributes to the distro.
          shouldn't arch users be even more skilled?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            But you have major version upgrades every 6 months or so, which is clearly what the quote was referring to.
            but you don't run "version", why should you care? gcc upgrades every 12 months, i.e. fedora doesn't lag. gnome upgrades every 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              shouldn't arch users be even more skilled?
              yep! of course they are

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                yep! of course they are
                so there's a business opportunity here: to sell arch and have more revenue than redhat? or some other tiny detail is missing like thousands of full-time engineers?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  so there's a business opportunity here: to sell arch and have more revenue than redhat? or some other tiny detail is missing like thousands of full-time engineers?
                  I've never said that having skilled user is a replacement for full-time engineers.
                  learn some logic, man.

I've said that a community of skilled users is important for the distro.
                  Any other bullshit you are stating here is only present is your head, not in my words.

Comment

Interesting interview relevant to this, if people haven't seen it yet.

Comment

Non critical functionality: RedHat branding and the phone-home licensing part.
                      I decided to use my "free" RHEL 8 licenses to upgrade my home server. I was expecting the annoying license keys, but what I was not expecting was the stepped-up telemetry and spying required if you want updates via DNF to work. Red Hat scrapes quite a bit of info including hostname, all IP addresses, MAC addresses, hardware make/model, serial numbers, and asset tags and sends it all to their big database. It even had the serial numbers of individual RAM DIMMs from dmidecode. For corporate users, it might be nice to view all of this on the RHN/RHSM website, but for personal/dev systems, this is a no-go privacy invasion. I'm sure some companies would prefer not to leak hostnames to RH/IBM, since they often contain project/partner names.
                      Last edited by PenguinWrangler; 01 February 2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X