No announcement yet.

Red Hat Announces No-Cost RHEL For Small Production Environments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a different take. Yes, there's the CentOS situation in the mix. However.

Red Hat is sweetening the pot for developers vs another company who throws goodies at developers: Microsoft. At least some of this is classic competition 101.

Comment

Seems a bit odd. Only mentions of deployment on servers and no indication of workstation version. I gave up on Redhat when they started charging Microsoft prices for licensing. A support free license for Redhat Workstation could make it a daily driver over Unbuntu and other distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
        SOnly mentions of deployment on servers and no indication of workstation version.
        I guess that's intentional, because it's not for workstations. It's also not to replace Ubuntu on desktops, because it's not a general desktop OS, but for workstations.

Comment

Thanks but no thanks, OEL still looks more viable unless there's cheaper mid-scale program available for heavily virtualized environments ('service per host').

Comment

This is the shit you do before you bend over every small business on Earth, not after. Have these people ever had another job, anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Not really a substitute for CentOS. This isn't "free forever". This is "free in 1 year increments... for now". You still need an active RHEL subscription for this to work, which requires annual renewal, and agreeing with Red Hat's TOS. In other words, they can change the terms and conditions at any time, or eliminate the program altogether. Or they can kick you out for no reason at all, just because they don't like you. (a la Jack Dorsey) Sounds to me like this is a desperate attempt at retaining disappointed CentOS users who would otherwise switch away.
              i really do not unterstand all this noise against IBM/REDHAT-.- i used Debian in the past and now i use Fedora34.

redhat os is maybe not "Free forever" but this words are missleading yes it is free forever it is opensource what is not free forever is the support of the os.

and even this view is very cheap game because i use fedora and i get new updates every day and it works great... and most fedora developers are paid by redhat/ibm.

tell me what is your perfect business plan what fits in your perfect "Free forever" ???

Debian is "free forever" but still leadershipment of debian chance from time to time and right now they have marxist/communist/BLM leadershipmend meand it is in fact super shit.

as you can see not even debian is "free forever" because you do not have any freedom in marxism.
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

lol, ok IBM. Thanks for the handout.

Still not interested. This IT guy will not recommend RedHat for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

i really do not unterstand all this noise against IBM/REDHAT-.- i used Debian in the past and now i use Fedora34.

redhat os is maybe not "Free forever" but this words are missleading yes it is free forever it is opensource what is not free forever is the support of the os.

and even this view is very cheap game because i use fedora and i get new updates every day and it works great... and most fedora developers are paid by redhat/ibm.
                  Fedora is free because RH receives a lot of testing and feedback on it by the Fedora community and users.
                  If RHEL is so great is because millions of people use and test fedora in pratically every configuration and setup you can imagine and provide a lot of feedback, and sometimes fixes, by the user. (the same applies for CentOS)

Typical Fedora/CentOS users are different than typical Ubuntu users and are very, very precious for RH.

It the last 20 years RH created a perfect equilibrium between the community and the enterprise and it was a win-win situation.

Now they completely screwed it.

The company that will succeed creating the new enterprise/community equilibrium will lead the Linux world in the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by ivan.cwb View Post
                    EDIT: Maybe it would be a little bit smarter to do that before the CentOS Stream fiasco... But they are probably in damage control mode now...
                    Back when Centos Stream announcement was made they also said there would be these new RHEL options announced for around February. The Centos guy said he did not want to wait for those announcement as it would delay publicising the decision that had already been made.

The friction is about Red Hat being a product based company, but Centos, whilst mostly internal, also having community aspects where it felt it would be letting people down by delaying its announcement to allow things to gel better.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex/AT View Post
                      Thanks but no thanks, OEL still looks more viable unless there's cheaper mid-scale program available for heavily virtualized environments ('service per host').
                      Friends dont let friends choose Oracle. its like placing your head in an alligators mouth and hoping it wont bite.

EDIT - if you want a non-red hat option (and not Suse or Debian), look at rocky linux or the one by Cloud Linux. Anything but making Oracle more powerful
                      Last edited by You-; 20 January 2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X