Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Performance Of Clear Linux vs. Fedora vs. Ubuntu Over 2020

Phoronix: The Performance Of Clear Linux vs. Fedora vs. Ubuntu Over 2020

Earlier this week we looked at the performance of Intel's Clear Linux over the past year but how does that compare to the likes of say Fedora and Ubuntu? This article is looking at the performance of Fedora Workstation, Ubuntu, and Clear Linux on the same hardware over the past year.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sad Fedora is still belonging to the underperforming distributions, even with LTO enabled with Fedora 33.

Comment

Just a friendly reminder: if you are on Arch or any of its derivatives, it's trivial to install a patched kernel from TkG, namely "linux-tkg", which includes patches from Clear Linux.

Comment

linux-tkg technically supports non-Arch distributions, but they're likely second-class.

Comment

I wonder what specifically is allowing clear linux to have such large gains in things like dav1d, it getting basically double the performance.

Comment

The Go benchmarks are particularly interesting as they are unaffected by the CC,CXX compiler flags, thus any improvement in performance there should mean the underlying system is faster, rather than just the benchmarked programs running faster due to being compiled with higher optimization.

Any chance you'll add more Go benchmarks in future comparisons ?

Comment

Could have just linked the README with instructions for most RPM and DEB based distributions.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                The Go benchmarks are particularly interesting as they are unaffected by the CC,CXX compiler flags, thus any improvement in performance there should mean the underlying system is faster, rather than just the benchmarked programs running faster due to being compiled with higher optimization.

There's a few Go benchmarks in PTS but not aware of too many real-world applicable Go benchmarks / popular Go workloads with nice representative benchmark cases?
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'll have to try it out. My inspiron has always failed the compatibility check in the past, but today it passes. It needs a fast os.

Comment

Originally posted by 900k View Post
                    I wonder what specifically is allowing clear linux to have such large gains in things like dav1d, it getting basically double the performance.
                    At the same time I wonder how relevant dav1d 0.5 is at the end of 2020, when dav1d is already at 0.8.

Originally posted by Grinch View Post

I don't think Go compilation uses gcc, so those flags won't work.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    There's a few Go benchmarks in PTS but not aware of too many real-world applicable Go benchmarks / popular Go workloads with nice representative benchmark cases?
                    The docker ecosystem is heavily dependent on Go, but I imagine building tests around Docker or Kubernetes isn't that straightforward.
                    Besides that, maybe this is something that can be benchmarked more easily: https://github.com/future-architect/vuls

Comment

Working...
                    X