Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rhavenn
    replied
    Lol. No. Arch or Gentoo will give you a nice rolling release with up-to-date everything. No need to jump to Windows 10. Pick a Arch derivative distro if you want it a little more packaged.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by pranav View Post
    "Phased update". I still don't get it.
    mpv 0.33.0 was released on Nov 22, 2020.
    We still don't get that update on Ubuntu 20.10, which is a non-LTS release.

By introducing this new "phased update", will people get updates in-time?
    No, I think this article means gradual rollout so not all people get the updates at the same time.

The problem with Ubuntu is that it takes 6 months you to get any new releases of any software, and by then it might already be outdated when you get it, because its not updated after the Feature Freeze date in development.

It seems Windows 10 is the best operating system for those wanting to enjoy the best open source has to offer, then you can always have access to the latest version of Python, LibreOffice, Blender, GIMP, etc. On Ubuntu I am stuck with old versions.

Leave a comment:

• pranav
    replied
    "Phased update". I still don't get it.
    mpv 0.33.0 was released on Nov 22, 2020.
    We still don't get that update on Ubuntu 20.10, which is a non-LTS release.

By introducing this new "phased update", will people get updates in-time?

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Ubuntu 21.04 To Expand The Use Of Phased Package Updates

Ubuntu 21.04 To Expand The Use Of Phased Package Updates

Phoronix: Ubuntu 21.04 To Expand The Use Of Phased Package Updates

With this spring's release of Ubuntu 21.04 there is more widespread use of "phased updates" for gradually rolling out new stable release updates to help avoid any regressions en masse from coming to light. For years the Ubuntu desktop has employed this phased updates strategy while now with it being plumbed into APT, Ubuntu Server and other versions will by default make use of phased updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X