No announcement yet.

Fedora 34 Planning For Better Font Rendering By Enabling HarfBuzz In FreeType

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 34 Planning For Better Font Rendering By Enabling HarfBuzz In FreeType

Phoronix: Fedora 34 Planning For Better Font Rendering By Enabling HarfBuzz In FreeType

One of the latest planned changes to the long list of improvements for Fedora 34 is enabling the HarfBuzz support within the FreeType library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait what? Why it was not enabled before?

Comment

Originally posted by pkunk View Post
      Wait what? Why it was not enabled before?
      Actually, that is something I'd like to know myself. I would like to know what were the roadblocks before with some knowledge that typegraphy can be very, very dicey on the legal end of it... And Fedora tends to try and avoid those pitfalls when possible.

Comment

Any other distro already has it?

How can we check if we make use of it on our system?

Comment

Pretty sure Arch has it for years. Proposal includes way to test it.

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post

Actually, that is something I'd like to know myself. I would like to know what were the roadblocks before with some knowledge that typegraphy can be very, very dicey on the legal end of it... And Fedora tends to try and avoid those pitfalls when possible.
            I vaguely remember it having to do with some TrueType software patents. (Source: Vague memories of instructions on how to compile your own builds to fix the crappy font hinting.)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

I vaguely remember it having to do with some TrueType software patents. (Source: Vague memories of instructions on how to compile your own builds to fix the crappy font hinting.)
              The known (or utilized) patents for TrueType and ClearType expired in 2010 and 2019 respectively:

Cheers,
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
                Any other distro already has it?

How can we check if we make use of it on our system?
                I would like to know this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mroche View Post

The known (or utilized) patents for TrueType and ClearType expired in 2010 and 2019 respectively:

Cheers,
                  Mike
                  Makes sense. I think I read what I read somewhere between 2005 and 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post

Likely due to circular dependencies. Harfbuzz also depends on FreeType

Comment

Working...
                    X