No announcement yet.

Debian 11 Freeze Begins, Debian 12 Might Reduce Focus On i386 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Userspace for i386 will be supported for some time, even if the kernel, dkms, grub, systemd, and few other components are dropped. I am not sure how the package building is going to be done for i386, but it is not too hard to make it work on amd64. We will probably see that in Debian 12. I doubt user-space i386 is going to be dropped before 2030.

Comment

Originally posted by barti_ddu View Post

I'm using chromium & firefox from unstable too They don't break anything in testing. I'm sure they will get into the release when time comes.
      Please don't use chromium from Debian. There are no security updates in testing, and the version in unstable is usually also pretty outdated.

Use firefox from Debian or google-chrome from Google.

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
        Can the 5.10 kernel be assumed?
        Yes, 5.10.4 in testing now. It will be 5.10.5 tomorrow (already in unstable).

Comment

I ended up switching to brave browser for debian testing. It's relatively well maintained, and chromium on the inside. The chromium debian team seemed fairly lightly staffed from what I could tell.

Comment

Great news, have been waiting for this. Been using testing because RX 5700, and got a couple of times system which does not boot to desktop, and updates every day, broken Gnome once. Yuck!

Comment

I was hoping the recent release of the Rust programming language (1.49) would make it into this freeze, but alas, it has only made it into the “experimental” area, so far.

What’s so special about Rust 1.49, you ask? It’s the first release of Rust, ever, to officially support the ARM64 architecture. Meaning it would officially be supported on the Raspberry Pi.

If you care about using Rust in the future, on a Raspberry Pi, please consider doing what you can to help Rust 1.49 make it into Debian 11.

There’s a team of people who package Rust for Debian, and their home page, as it were, is here: https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/RustPackaging

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post

Please don't use chromium from Debian. There are no security updates in testing, and the version in unstable is usually also pretty outdated.

Use firefox from Debian or google-chrome from Google.
                Or install the latest firefox-release tarball from Mozilla. Have made a script to do it all for me have been using it for the last 3 or 4 years without a hitch. Did the same for Thunderbird and both update automatically.

Comment

Working...
                X