X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news. Thanks Debian project! ❤️

Comment

Originally posted by DRanged View Post

Debian testing (bullseye) already has 5.10 kernel rolled out for abt. week or so. 5.10 kernel doesn't play ball with Virtualbox had to roll back to the latest 5. kernel.
      Hi. I use Debian Bullseye with the latest updates and it works. At first, I used the repository from Oracle, but then I pulled the update from sid (with pinning) and it works You should try!

Comment

Debian sid (unstable) is usually the way to go for me. It has the latest Firefox (non-ESR) and VirtualBox without resorting to 3rd party repos. Also latest KDE Plasma 5.20. I'm probably just lazy :P

Comment

Debian testing (bullseye) already has 5.10 kernel rolled out for abt. week or so. 5.10 kernel doesn't play ball with Virtualbox had to roll back to the latest 5. kernel.
          There is no virtualbox in testing currently, and the version from unstable works (I use it daily)

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            Big jump for plasma from Debian 10 to Debian 11 - thanks to Norbert Preining's work to jumpstart plasma packaging, plasma version will be jumping all the way from 5.14.5 to 5.20.5. Here's what he told us in the MX forum today: https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic....618183#p618183
            With QT5 in a "frozen" state, it's a perfect time for Debian & Ubuntu to deliver KDE backports. At the moment, among big distros with "fixed" release model, only openSUSE, Fedora and sometimes Ubuntu provide newer version of KDE software.
            I didn't mention KDE Neon because it's a special kind of distros.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
              how is FlatPak ridiculous ?
              Last time I really, really used it and Flat apps, about 9 months ago, printing didn't work, there were oddball theme issues, and a lot of minor annoyances. For the most part it worked, but when it didn't it's more annoying than when a regular program doesn't work because you have to figure out if it's the program, the runtime, or both.

I wouldn't call it ridiculous as much as I'd call it rough around the edges. At least then. After reading the 1.10 article and glancing the GH Issues it seems like most of my annoyances have been dealt with.

But it seems to be geared towards running modern 64-bit applications in the sandbox when a lot of people want to use it more like a Wine prefix for legacy programs or the mythical Linux standard library API when that's not really what FlatPak is.

JMB9 isn't wrong in that we need some way of running legacy programs; I always imagine something like Wine based on Debian releases instead of Windows releases that runs programs in sandbox like FlatPak....I mean, we are talking about a bunch of old ass legacy code that hasn't been updated in 20 some odd years; seems like the perfect candidates for sandboxing if you ask me.

Nice to see the great KDE support. Sucks that it happens to have happened when Qt pulled the biggest dick move they could pull. Seriously, what assholes decided that paid for LTS support was a good idea when free/stable is still basically in alpha? That's ridiculous. Are Qt and CentOS ran by the same committee?

Comment

Originally posted by barti_ddu View Post

There is no virtualbox in testing currently, and the version from unstable works (I use it daily)
                I use the Oracle repo. Will have a look at sid but don't like to mix testing and sid to much
                Been using the VirtualBox-6.1.16-140961-Linux_amd64.run
                Last edited by DRanged; 14 January 2021, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I've been running testing for a while. Running on brand new hardware -- ryzen5950/amd pro card. It's looking slick.

But broken docker. Broken KDE/docker interaction. Missing dependencies for slack and zoom clients. No chromium in repo. Hopefully these get worked out before the serious freezes.
                  These are all a bit rough if you use debian as a workstation and don't want to mess with all these things that just work in debian 10. It'll be interesting to see if a major release ships chromium free.

Comment

I use the Oracle repo. Will have a look at sid but don't like to mix testing and sid to much
                    Been using the VirtualBox-6.1.16-140961-Linux_amd64.run
                    I've been mixing testing & sid since 2004 or so... and even some experimental when Debian is in feature freeze

Just lower Pin-Priority for unstable to not overwrite something unintentionally.
                    Code:
                    $ apt-cache policy virtualbox
                    virtualbox:
                    Installed: 6.1.16-dfsg-6
                    Candidate: 6.1.16-dfsg-6
                    Version table:
                    *** 6.1.16-dfsg-6 100
                    50 http://debian.balt.net/debian unstable/contrib amd64 Packages
                    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Comment

Originally posted by extremesquared View Post
                      I've been running testing for a while. Running on brand new hardware -- ryzen5950/amd pro card. It's looking slick.

But broken docker. Broken KDE/docker interaction. Missing dependencies for slack and zoom clients. No chromium in repo. Hopefully these get worked out before the serious freezes.
                      These are all a bit rough if you use debian as a workstation and don't want to mess with all these things that just work in debian 10. It'll be interesting to see if a major release ships chromium free.
                      I'm using chromium & firefox from unstable too They don't break anything in testing. I'm sure they will get into the release when time comes.

Comment

Working...
                      X