Ubuntu 21.04 Will Finally Stop Making New Home Directories World-Readable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lyamc View Post

If all evidence points to Ubuntu as being the most popular desktop Linux distro on X86-64 then it can be assumed that it is the most popular until proven otherwise.

Highest searches/interest with Google Trends
    Highest active userbase with Steam
    Most commercial support in hardware machines
    Most seeds/peers in torrent downloads
    Most activity online, including news sites, forums and websites such as stackoverflow and reddit.
    Most support in regards to spinning up online images

How about you give me something, anything to say otherwise. My favourite OS was Crunchbang, I have no horse in this race.
    No, sir. The burden of proof is with who makes a claim, not who contests it!

PS. distrowatch, which has obviously flaws. The problem is, data that proofs what is the "most popular linux distro" does not exist. I don't know any data that divides distros by usecase that is not flawed in some way.
    Last edited by mppix; 20 January 2021, 09:01 PM.

Comment

This is what you said:
      servers, high performance computing, cloud/virtual machines, embedded systems....

Adding servers wouldn't change anything, but mobile would easily put Android into the number 1 spot. Chromebooks would likely be in the number 2 spot.
      Again a claim from the crystal ball?

Let us agree to disagree. In your world, Ubuntu is number one most popular linux distro. In my world, there is insufficient data to make such statements.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
        servers, high performance computing, cloud/virtual machines, embedded systems....
        Well first of all, embedded systems will more likely be custom solutions. Based on something like Debian? Sure, but it’s no longer “Debian” at a certain point. Also, unless those machines access the web, the numbers aren’t going to be available, which is why we ignore those too.

Virtual machines, do we count literally every virtual machine? No, of course not, we only count the host of the virtual machine. Besides, ubuntu is immensely popular on virtual platforms, both as a host and as a client.

Stop being ridiculous.

Again a claim from the crystal ball?
        Says the guy who tried to use Distrowatch without reading what those numbers meant.

If you don’t understand how to get the numbers, then every number looks like it came from a crystal ball.

Let us agree to disagree. In your world, Ubuntu is number one most popular linux distro. In my world, there is insufficient data to make such statements.
        In your world, you use any data (including invalid data like Distrowatch) that you think supports your bias and reject everything else.

Wow would you look at that! 47.8%?

Nah, I think MX Linux, the distro that no one’s ever heard of, is the most popular because people looked it up on Distrowatch.
        Last edited by lyamc; 20 January 2021, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Well first of all, embedded systems will more likely be custom solutions. Based on something like Debian? Sure, but it’s no longer “Debian” at a certain point. Also, unless those machines access the web, the numbers aren’t going to be available, which is why we ignore those too.
          Great, let us ignore all data that does not fit.

Virtual machines, do we count literally every virtual machine? No, of course not, we only count the host of the virtual machine. Besides, ubuntu is immensely popular on virtual platforms, both as a host and as a client.
          Yup, ubuntu is popular.

Says the guy who tried to use Distrowatch without reading what those numbers meant.
          Actually, I do.

In your world, you use any data (including invalid data like Distrowatch) that you think supports your bias and reject everything else.

Wow would you look at that! 47.8%?
          Virtually the second sentence is: "Linux is used by 29.1% of all the websites whose operating system we know." Also
          Global Web Hosting Companies Market Share 2024, based on millions of websites in more than 200 countries

https://www.t4.ai/industry/server-op...m-market-share
          I'm sure redhat promotes ubuntu now

Btw, as I state in every single post: It is hard to crown a "most popular desktop distribution". It is hard to state what is a desktop system vs. something else and good numbers of some sectors are hard to come by, e.g. number of corporate/military. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
            Great, let us ignore all data that does not fit.
            I didn’t ignore it, I literally just pointed out that for embedded devices, Debian is likely the most popular, but for servers Ubuntu is still going to be approx. as popular as others like CentOS and RHEL at least. This means that including servers will not have much of an effect on the overall numbers.

Additionally, it is impossible to determine how many of those servers are virtualized and how many are physical.

So, like I said, if you don’t know where he numbers come from then everything will look like it comes from a magic ball.

Yup, ubuntu is popular.
            The most popular. It’s not even that big of a claim, like I said, if the second most popular has 16% of the Linux market share, then Ubuntu would only need 17% to be “most popular”.

Actually, I do.
            Why would you knowingly use bad numbers to make an argument that showed MX Linux as being the most popular OS?

Virtually the second sentence is: "Linux is used by 29.1% of all the websites whose operating system we know."
            Well... duh. If I collect a sample of data and place it into categories, then only the ones that are labelled would have been identified.

Also
            Global Web Hosting Companies Market Share 2024, based on millions of websites in more than 200 countries

https://www.t4.ai/industry/server-op...m-market-share
            Look at that, not only is Ubuntu the most popular Linux distro in the server market, but it is also very close to others like CentOS in market share, meaning you can safely neglect servers when talking about popularity.

Dis you even look at your own links?

”The market for Server Operating System shipments grew by 10% in 2019 with nearly 11 million unit shipments worldwide. The market for Server OS is expected to reach 12 billion shipments in 2020.”

I don’t exactly trust a site that has such a bad typo on a site that also hides the sources for their information.

Even so “shipments” implies physical shipments, as in, servers with operating systems preloaded.

What if I buy a server with no OS preloaded? Is that included or excluded? You need to know where the numbers come from.

I'm sure redhat promotes ubuntu now
            ????

Btw, as I state in every single post: It is hard to crown a "most popular desktop distribution". It is hard to state what is a desktop system vs. something else and good numbers of some sectors are hard to come by, e.g. number of corporate/military. Nothing more, nothing less.
            You’re completely wrong. The reason why Ubuntu is the most popular is because Linux is such a fragmented platform with no official “Linux OS”.

Military use of Linux is not going to be useful because the number of computers the military has vs the citizens and corporate world is going to be minuscule.

Also, what makes you think that the military with all their resources wouldn’t just make something custom like corporations do? It’s supposed to be “mission critical” work so they would want as much control as possible.
            Last edited by lyamc; 22 January 2021, 01:00 AM.

Comment

blabla
              I still insist that you don't have the data to make general statements beyond "best in this survey" because the data does survey for example steam users. It does not represent what you claim it does (general desktop users). Also, you are quick to point out flaws and discount statistics that don't agree with you and use others (that have the same type of flaws to support your claims).

You’re completely wrong. The reason why Ubuntu is the most popular is because Linux is such a fragmented platform with no official “Linux OS”.
              Then, why are you trying so hard to crown a king?
              We simply don't need this. Also if this is about application support for "desktop Linux," deb packages are not really the answer: flatpak (and maybe snap) is (especially for proprietary applications). So, who cares what system is running?
              Last edited by mppix; 22 January 2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

This is not about being a King.

I don’t understand why you’re making such a big deal over it, like I said, Linux is a very fragmented platform so “most popular” could be 10%, who knows?

And the data shows clearly that most of the people using a Linux distro are using Ubuntu. This isn’t some value statement like “popular most = good” but rather “most = most”.

Comment

Working...
                X